George Floyd protests: new cases of COVID-19

Haneifah Ahmad, Reporter

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Thousands of people have been gathering in Jacksonville to protest police brutality following the death of George Floyd, who died in the custody of Minneapolis police. Health officials worry that an increase of COVID-19 cases may be foreseeable in the area. 

Health experts say coronavirus can spread between people who are in close contact and through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes or talks. 

Although people are wearing masks, Dr. Pauline Rolle with the Duval County Health Department said people may still be in danger of infecting themselves or others. 

“You have people walking closely together, yelling and talking, which is a way of spreading the disease,” Rolle said.

People with and without masks who are protesting in mass gatherings are being asked to get tested for the virus. Although it is not mandatory to get tested, it’ll be beneficial for people to know their status. 

There is a latency period, meaning we won’t be able to see the true amount of COVID-19 cases until weeks from now. 

According to the Florida Department of Health, there are a total of 1,702 cases of COVID-19 in Duval County. 

___

• “We don’t really have a whole lot of choice here”: UNF committee sends new faculty post-tenure review policy to BOT for approval

“We don’t really have a whole lot of choice here”: UNF committee sends new faculty post-tenure review policy to BOT for approval

• The Chabad of Southsides new Model Family Terrace by the Lake will be dedicated on Sunday, June 4. (Courtesy of the Chabad of Southside)

Chabad of Southside to unveil new outdoor event space amid rise in antisemitism across Florida

• Outline of the UNF logo as the net for a ping pong table

What does a post-tenure review process mean for UNF?

• Column: Every body is a summer body

Column: Every body is a summer body

• The QUEST: First Flight logo, courtesy of the QUEST website.

Citing low enrollment, UNF cancels program supporting diverse students

• The cover of Sly Cooper and the Thevious Raccoonus.

Review: Sly Cooper is such a steal it’s criminal!

• Physical Facilities staff member found dead on campus, UNF says

Physical Facilities staff member found dead on campus, UNF says

• FILE - Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis answers questions from the media in the Florida Cabinet following his State of the State address during a joint session of the Senate and House of Representatives Tuesday, March 7, 2023, at the Capitol in Tallahassee, Fla. Advocates for open government are ringing alarms about plans by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis administration that could make it harder to learn what public officials are doing and to speak out against them. (AP Photo/Phil Sears, File)

Florida Politics

Rumors turn to reality as DeSantis files paperwork in a bid for president

• Sonic Adventure DX.

Return to Sonic Adventure DX or not? A review

• Ground level view of the track at Hodges Stadium

NCAA track and field regionals are coming to UNF; here’s what you need to know