Confederate statue removed from Jacksonville park overnight

Zach Yearwood, News Editor

A monument depicting a Confederate soldier was taken down Monday night from the pedestal it once stood on in Hemming Park, just outside Jacksonville City Hall.

City Hall was the scene for a protest Tuesday morning led by Jaguars’ running back Leonard Fournette and rapper Lil Duval, which mayor Lenny Curry attended and spoke at.

“We’ve got to find a way to come together,” Curry said. “We’re not going to agree on everything – that’s just not human history, human nature. We’ve got to find common ground.”

Just hours before the protest, city crews were seen using a crane to remove the statue, according to News4Jax.

At the peaceful demonstration, Mayor Curry followed by announcing that the other Confederate monuments in the city will also be taken down.

He said he had been thinking of removing them for “some time” but especially in the last few  days.

Statues devoted to Confederate troops have been issues of contention in recent years. 

Citizens in multiple cities protested for their removal in 2017 after a ‘Unite the Right’ rally in Charlottesville, Virginia turned violent.

In 2018, a group called Take ‘em Down Jax organized a 40-mile “March for Change” from Downtown Jacksonville to St. Augustine, urging the cities to remove the statues, calling them symbols of hate.

Jacksonville’s City Council held multiple discussions regarding removing the statues, but none were successful.

There have been no announcements on what will happen to the statues once they come down.

___

1 Comment

One Response to “Confederate statue removed from Jacksonville park overnight”

1. Abel Felicdad on June 10th, 2020 11:25 am

If Charles Hemming is a ‘racist’ and a ‘white supremacist,’ then those words don’t really mean what people think they mean. Those words aren’t quite the antithesis of seeing Black people as equals, not anymore. Hemming wasn’t the one who founded a terrorist group after the war, unless you consider a bank cashier terrorism. We musn’t lump him in with the people who actually did such things. This is from Hemming’s own memoir: “At Mason, in Georgia, we came across a colored cavalry regiment, and they took from us every N-gro [censored to make WordPress happy, wasn’t a term of disparagement back then] in our ranks, five or six. My boy, Billy, was among them. I pled for him and he pled for himself, but it was of no avail; they took him anyhow, and from that day to this I have never heard of him.” In no way would he disparage anyone who fought along side him against the common enemy of tyranny. Yes, slavery was a bad idea! It’s inevitably dehumanizing, but most people treated slaves like decent human beings, otherwise it wouldn’t have lasted as long as it did. If Hemming’s words are those of someone who saw Black people as below-human, what must I conclude? The only requirement of ‘white supremacy’ is that you’re a White person who is living and breathing. ‘Judge people by the content of their character’ for crying out loud!

• Photo courtesy of Pixabay.

Blood drive at Osprey Fountains on Tuesday, June 15

• Image courtesy of Dan Lacey via CC BY-NC 2.0

Highlighting Marsha P. Johnson

• Image courtesy of Charlotte May via Pexels.

5 Safety Tips for Incoming Freshmen from UNF Police Chief Mackesy

• A statue of former Vice President John C. Calhoun, a South Carolina native, stands in the lobby of the Statehouse on Tuesday, Jan. 12, 2021, in Columbia, S.C. Republican South Carolina legislative leaders are unlikely this year to give permission to local governments or colleges who want to take down Confederate statues or rename buildings honoring segregationists. (AP Photo/Meg Kinnard)

UNF students’ thoughts on renaming high schools named after Confederates

• Pride flag.

Celebrating Pride Month 2021

• Image from asianpacificheritage.gov.

Celebrating AAPI Heritage Month; UNF ASIA speaks on the rise of Asian-American hate crimes

• Photo courtesy of Pixabay via Pexels

Pet abandonment on the rise as Americans return to the office

• Courtesy of David Eckstein-Schoemann

Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge Lightsaber Meet-Up

• Photo courtesy of Anna Shvets via Pexels

New CDC guidelines ease some concerns UNF faculty members raised

• Photo by Darvin Nelson, Editor-in-Chief.

SPINNAKER’S SUMMER 2021 MAGAZINE ISSUE AVAILABLE NOW!!!