Confederate statue removed from Jacksonville park overnight

Zach Yearwood, News Editor

A monument depicting a Confederate soldier was taken down Monday night from the pedestal it once stood on in Hemming Park, just outside Jacksonville City Hall.

City Hall was the scene for a protest Tuesday morning led by Jaguars’ running back Leonard Fournette and rapper Lil Duval, which mayor Lenny Curry attended and spoke at.

“We’ve got to find a way to come together,” Curry said. “We’re not going to agree on everything – that’s just not human history, human nature. We’ve got to find common ground.”

Just hours before the protest, city crews were seen using a crane to remove the statue, according to News4Jax.

At the peaceful demonstration, Mayor Curry followed by announcing that the other Confederate monuments in the city will also be taken down.

He said he had been thinking of removing them for “some time” but especially in the last few  days.

Statues devoted to Confederate troops have been issues of contention in recent years. 

Citizens in multiple cities protested for their removal in 2017 after a ‘Unite the Right’ rally in Charlottesville, Virginia turned violent.

In 2018, a group called Take ‘em Down Jax organized a 40-mile “March for Change” from Downtown Jacksonville to St. Augustine, urging the cities to remove the statues, calling them symbols of hate.

Jacksonville’s City Council held multiple discussions regarding removing the statues, but none were successful.

There have been no announcements on what will happen to the statues once they come down.

___

• (Priscilla Du Preez/Unsplash)

Thanksgiving: The importance of gratitude

• Entrance to Neckles’ Bless This House gallery at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Jacksonville.

MOCA artist Shervone Neckles shares the creative process behind her thought-provoking artwork

• Photo courtesy of Osprey Robotics

Club Spotlight: Osprey Robotics

• A rainbow flag waves at the starting line of a Pride Observance Month 5K run at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, June 21, 2019. The rainbow flag is displayed at lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer or questioning events worldwide as a symbol for diversity in the LGBTQ community. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Monica Roybal)

‘Perseverance and solidarity’: UNF Pride Club members discuss the history of Pride

• Oktoberfest information

Ozzie Oktoberfest: The 5 W’s to know

• The video game posters, featuring posters for Nintendo’s Metroid Dread and The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild, the former of which is one of “100’s” of new additions to their inventory, according to the sale

UNF poster sale this week

• A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

• Interior of the Ogier Garden’s greenhouse.

Nothing beets the Ogier Garden’s hidden gems

• Lynne Arriale leaning over a table with her arms crossed

UNF music professor on the “language of jazz”

• Photo Courtesy of Amelia Simmons

Best part-time jobs for freshman at UNF

1

• A

Abel FelicdadJun 10, 2020 at 11:25 am

If Charles Hemming is a ‘racist’ and a ‘white supremacist,’ then those words don’t really mean what people think they mean. Those words aren’t quite the antithesis of seeing Black people as equals, not anymore. Hemming wasn’t the one who founded a terrorist group after the war, unless you consider a bank cashier terrorism. We musn’t lump him in with the people who actually did such things. This is from Hemming’s own memoir: “At Mason, in Georgia, we came across a colored cavalry regiment, and they took from us every N-gro [censored to make WordPress happy, wasn’t a term of disparagement back then] in our ranks, five or six. My boy, Billy, was among them. I pled for him and he pled for himself, but it was of no avail; they took him anyhow, and from that day to this I have never heard of him.” In no way would he disparage anyone who fought along side him against the common enemy of tyranny. Yes, slavery was a bad idea! It’s inevitably dehumanizing, but most people treated slaves like decent human beings, otherwise it wouldn’t have lasted as long as it did. If Hemming’s words are those of someone who saw Black people as below-human, what must I conclude? The only requirement of ‘white supremacy’ is that you’re a White person who is living and breathing. ‘Judge people by the content of their character’ for crying out loud!