Women's basketball win in blowout fashion despite sloppy play

Josh Brannock, Sports Editor

Email Josh at [email protected]

Follow @spinnakersports

After winning its first game of the year, the UNF women’s basketball team (2-5, 1-0 Atlantic Sun) is now on a 2 game winning streak after beating cross-town rival Jacksonville University (0-7, 0-1 A-Sun) Dec. 3.

With strong defense and crisp outside shooting, the Ospreys were able to come away with a 51-36 win. UNF held JU to an abysmal 18% (12-68) shooting from the field and just 15% (2-13) from beyond the three-point line.

“I thought we did a pretty good job defensively in holding them [JU] under 20 percent shooting,” head coach Mary Tappmeyer said. “I was disappointed in our turnovers and there offensive rebounds.”

“Defense win’s championships,” forward Jadhken Kerr said. “When we play defense like we can, we look really good.”

“On a day to day basis I don’t think that there is a team…that can defend better then UNF can,” senior guard Brittany Kirkland said.

Even though the Ospreys won by double digits the team made plenty of mistakes. Even though UNF was able to out rebound JU 56-40, JU was able to come down with 22 rebounds. The Dolphins scored 15 of their 36 points off of second chance points.

“I think we did a really good job guarding their initial set, but our rotations…we didn’t put a body on them,” Tappmeyer said. “What’s been the history in the past with us, is when a team gets a little bit scrappy with us we get shocked.”

UNF had 27 total turnovers in the game, 14 in the second half. The Dolphins took advantage of the sloppy play and were able to score 23 points in the second half. In total JU scored 14 points off of turnovers, 7 in each half. Kirkland had the most turnovers in the game for any player with 10.

“I’m a senior, I have to take better care of the basketball,” she said. “Teams have found my weakness, which is frustrating me, putting a lot of contact on me and putting a lot of pressure on me. It’s just something I have to get used to.”

Offensively though Kirkland led a group of players who shot 39% (21-54) from the field and 42% (5-12) from three-point range. Kirkland continued to lead the Ospreys in scoring with 16.

“I’ll take an ugly win over a pretty loss any day,” Tappmeyer said.

UNF will continue its non-conference schedule Dec. 10 as they travel to play West Virginia before going down south to play FAU Dec. 14.