Exposed metal cuts student

Forrest Gillette tracked blood into the showers of Osprey Hall after cutting his foot on the Green. Photo by Brandon Thigpen
Forrest Gillette tracked blood into the showers of Osprey Hall after cutting his foot on the Green.
Photo by Brandon Thigpen
On Sept. 12, Forrest Gillette, who was playing ultimate frisbee on the green, lacerated his foot on an exposed metal grate and tracked blood around campus.

Gillette, a resident of Osprey Hall, was barefoot when it happened and washed his foot in the water fountain on the south end of Building 14d.

“Most of us were barefoot. [Gillette] was simply paying attention to the game, not the field,” said Ben Watson, a finance freshman, who was playing in the game.

“The grate is there for drainage purposes,” said Daniel Endicott, Director of Environmental Health and Safety at UNF. “I’ve had no prior reported incidents. There are lights around the perimeter and walkways, but not shining on the center of the field.”

Gillette also tracked blood on the stairs of Building 14d. Photo by Brandon Thigpen
Gillette also tracked blood on the stairs of Building 14d.
Photo by Brandon Thigpen
“It was 1:30 a.m. in the morning and there aren’t any lights on the field,” said Watson.

Steven Virden, Resident Assistant for Osprey Hall put in a maintenance request to clean the blood just before 3 a.m. The crew had finished disinfecting the showers and the Hall Lobby before 8 a.m.

Students could see maintenance pressure-washing the stairway on Building 14d Sept. 13.

Endicott said he hopes students wear shoes at all times on campus, not just while playing on the green.

Email Brandon Thigpen at [email protected]