Opponents bird-handled Ospreys this weekend

By: Jordan Harirchi, Assistant Sports Editor

In both conference games this weekend, the UNF men’s basketball team was crushed.

The Ospreys (13-15, 7-8 Atlantic Sun) lost 65-50 to the East Tennessee State University Buccaneers (13-12, 7-7 A-Sun) Feb. 11 then lost 77-52 to the University of South Carolina Upstate Spartans (17-10, 10-4 A-Sun) Feb. 13. In their last five losses, the Ospreys have lost by an average of 15.2 points — one of those losses was by one point to the Buccaneers. Here is an analysis of the weekend.

Ospreys are dominated in many phases of the game.

The Ospreys were out-rebounded by 21 in their two losses this weekend. The Ospreys were also out-shot in both games. Against the Bucs, the Ospreys shot a 41.9 field-goal percentage to the Bucs’ 50 percent. Against the Spartans, the Ospreys shot a 38 field-goal percentage to the Spartans’ 50 percent. Both opponents rained down the three, shooting a combined 55 percent from behind the arc. The Ospreys didn’t help their free throw shooting average either. The team shot 35.7 percent from the line on the weekend, compared to opponents’ 75 percent.

Three-pointer off the mark in losses.

In the last five wins, the Ospreys averaged 8.6 threes a game with a 43.4 percentage. In the Ospreys’ last five losses, the Ospreys averaged 4.8 threes a game with a 30.8 percentage. The Ospreys’ most lethal weapon is the three, and junior guards Jerron Granberry and Parker Smith are the only players who shoot them. The two guards have made 143 of the 170 threes the Ospreys have made this season. Will someone else shoot them? Will will! Junior guard Will Wilson is 4-9 on the season and has gone 2-2 in the past three games. Whether head coach Matthew Driscoll lets Wilson test his shot or allows sophomore guard Charles McRoy to continue missing (9-48 from behind the arc) is something to keep an eye out for.

More points off turnovers means more wins.

Maybe the Ospreys should just hand the ball to their opponents and allow them to score. In the last five losses, the Ospreys have given away an average of 14.2 turnovers, and opponents have scored an average of 15.2 points off those turnovers a game. In the last five wins, the team has averaged 16.6 turnovers, and opponents have averaged 18.4 points off those turnovers a game.

Bring more paint buckets.

The Ospreys win when they put up points in the paint. In the last five wins, the Ospreys have averaged 36.4 points in the paint. In the last five losses, the Ospreys have averaged 24.8 points in the paint. The team averaged 18 points from the paint this weekend — well below their losing average for the last five games, much less than their winning average.

Get off the wood and play.

Before the game against the Spartans, the Ospreys’ bench was averaging 32.3 points a game, outscoring the opponents reserves in 23 out of 27 games. This weekend, the Ospreys’ bench averaged only 16 bench points and only outscored the Spartans.
The Ospreys play next at home against the Kennesaw State Owls (3-24, 0-14 A-Sun). The Ospreys beat the Owls 76-68 in their first meeting this season.

Email Jordan Harirchi at [email protected].
Follow @spinnakersports