Art-Walk

Local artists, musicians and performers from all parts of Jacksonville meet in downtown venues the first Wednesday of each month to share their talents.

Live bands, diverse art, free food, beer, wine and dancing attract about 3,000 people to Art Walk each month.

“It’s a very hip event,” said Terry Lorince, executive for Downtown Vision, the group that organizes Art Walk. “It exposes people to all that downtown has to offer. And it will give the students a chance to learn about downtown.”

Along with performances and live bands along the streets between venues, the crowds are also welcomed into 20 to 40 different galleries, museums, restaurants, bars, clubs, libraries and a park to view local artwork, depending on the month.

The crowd at Art Walk keeps growing larger and more diverse as more residents learn about and participate in the event. A large variety of art and self-expression can be found while exploring the streets of downtown, Lorince said.

HEMMING PLAZA, Feb. 4

The Bantu-Capoeira UNF sports club showed its athletic and musical talents to the crowds who stopped to watch.

Capoeira is an Afro-Brazilian martial art that combines acrobatics, music and dance to create self-defense moves without actually striking your partner, said Anna Hellmuth, treasurer of Bantu-Capoeira. When practicing Capoeira, you treat your partner as an opponent, yet the whole group is one team. Some members of the group played musical instruments while the others performed martial arts.

“It’s relaxing and fun,” Hellmuth said. “You get really close and comfortable with everyone [in the group], like a family.”

THE OLD LIBRARY, Feb 4

You can find the old library on Ocean Street overflowing with people enjoying the uniqueness and beauty of local acrylic and oil paintings, sculptures,
photographs, drawings and jewelry.

Pam Barnett has featured her collection of custom jewelry at the Art Walk in the old library for the past year. All her art is personally designed, handmade and ranges from casual to formal.

“I enjoy it because you get a different style of art,” Barnett said. “You get a fresher perspective; you get different political viewpoints, [and] it’s really an exciting venue.”

THE CARLING, Feb 4

Beautifully designed with chandeliers and a marble staircase, The Carling is a renovated hotel from the 1920s that featured art from Florida Community College at Jacksonville during the Art Walk.

Twenty four portraits were created by 15 students in 1990 to visualize the cultural diversity found on the campus.

The pieces were borrowed from a permanent display at the downtown campus.

Compiled by April Schulhauser.