Ospreys win third straight with 3 double-figure scorers

The UNF women’s basketball team defeated Campbell University 61-51 Feb. 14 after losing their first match of the season against Campbell 61-38. In the Ospreys third straight home win three players scored in double figures.

UNF scored the first nine points of the game and built a 12-point lead with less than seven minutes into
the game.

“We really played a well-rounded offensive game tonight and were able to score several different ways,” said head coach Mary Tappmeyer in a press release. “The biggest thing was that we out rebounded them.”

With senior Jennifer Bowen being out for a majority of the game and only seeing three minutes of play due to a hand injury, the Ospreys didn’t let that affect them as they never trailed throughout the match.

“Most of the shots they got were out of our press on a rotation where a little was on them.

They were able to keep them out of their comfort zone by not allowing them to run much of the court,” Tappmeyer said.

Sophomore Brittany Jones with a career high score average with 11 points for the night, sophomore JulieMay Syquio topping 12 points and freshman Brittany Kirkland with a fierce 17 points.

Freshman guard Kim Baker went 3-for-3 and had one steal, in only 12 minutes of play.

“For a freshman and sophomore to step in and go a combined 8-for-8 from the field for us was huge,” UNF head coach Mary Tappmeyer said. “We got a huge lift from Brittany and Kim Baker, especially with Jennifer Bowen being out.”

Campbell also had three of their own players with double-digit numbers, including Geami Britt’s 12 point high.

As UNF built their biggest lead of the game, Rachelle Rasley nailed a 3-point ball with 3:19 left in the game to put the game away.

“We played stronger and more aggressive defense,” Tappmeyer said. “We needed to put two-halves together and last time we played Campbell we didn’t do that.”

Campbell never got closer than nine points in the final 10 minutes of play and had no advantages with fouls against the Ospreys to help them with a come back.

“We have been playing much more aggressively,” Tappmeyer said. “With the team blending better it’s easier to create havoc on the opposing defense.”

The Ospreys will finish up their home schedule as they play against Florida Gulf Coast University at 5:30 p.m Feb. 19.

E-mail Heather Furey at [email protected].