Letter to the Editor: Concert waste of SG funds; all involved could do more

Dear Editor,
Various UNF campus ministries partnered with Student Government both Thursday and Friday night last week to bring a large-scale Christian concert to the Arena.

The concert featured some relatively big names from within the Christian subculture, and it was an event many have looked forward to for some time now, hoping it would be an opportunity for Christians from all across campus to come together.

Here’s the problem: It was completely free, meaning SG funds covered the entire event.

Considering all of the resources required to make a large concert possible, those two nights cost SG more than $40,000. Is this really the best way we can be spending our money?

If groups on campus truly want to partner together, and if SG really wants to help out, then imagine the impact they could have.

Imagine how many people UNF could give clean water to. Imagine how many kids UNF could help graduate high school. Imagine how many people – across the world or right here in our own city – we could feed, house and clothe.

It’s no secret our nation – and our world – is in the midst of considerable economic difficulties. We cannot fathom how fortunate we are as students to have so much money to spend on whatever we want.

My hope is that next time we Christians want to come together and show how unified we are, we will do it in a way that might actually benefit the world around us.

Beau Denton
Senior, English