Parking services, UPD prepare for influx of UNF visitors

As the athletes and attendees settle in for the first evening of the National Collegiate Athletic Association Track and Field Meet, UNF is prepared to accommodate for the additional people and cars.

Parking Services Event Coordinator Felicia Rivera detailed these accommodations and all the need-to-knows in campus logistics for May 24-May 26.

Students on campus Thursday evening, May 24, and Friday, May 25, should expect an increase in traffic congestion.

This is due to several unrelated events taking place simultaneously.

The evening of May 24, UNF will hold a senior awards ceremony at 7 p.m. for a local high school.

Two high school graduation rehearsals will take place at the university at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m May 25, and a 7 p.m. commencement will take place the same day.

Finally, a second commencement ceremony will take place May 26 at 9 a.m.

The only road closure is a portion of the North South Road. The portion is located between the sport’s complexes and Lot 18, and it will be closed May 24, 25 and 26. However, the remainder of North South Road will be open for the entirety of those days.

Rivera said the department is making sure signs are out around campus to direct people efficiently.

“We’ve even passed out campus maps to show people the best ways to go into the campus and where to park,” Rivera said.

UNF students won’t have to worry about paying for parking, as long as they have a valid permit. Those without valid permits, however, will have to pay $3 to park Thursday and Friday. With Saturday comes free parking.

The event is open to the public, but ticket prices vary depending on the attendee.

Three-day adult tickets are $35, while those for attendees 17 and under are $25.

College students planning to attend all three days can expect to pay $25, as well.

Adult single-day tickets are $15. Those 17 and under and college students planning only to spend a single day can both expect to pay $10.

Children less than 2 years of age are free of admission.

Tickets can be purchased in advance at the UNF Arena ticket office, online or by phone. On game day, tickets will be available for purchase at the gate one hour prior to the event.

UPD Lieutenant Mike Gwynes said security for the meet mirrors that of any event held on campus.

UPD officers will be assigned to monitor overall security during the three days.

The athletic department hired an outside security system, CSE Security Group, to oversee access into the event.

As per most track and field events, no outside food and drinks are allowed past security. Those items can be purchased upon entering the event.

Gwynes said attendees should avoid bringing backpacks, but if they are necessary to keep them small. Anything that cannot easily be searched will be denied entry.