Commentary: Inside the Huddle – April 1

Jason Yurgartis
Features Editor
John Weidner
Sprots Editor
Rachel Elsea
Copy Editor
Herbert
Oldie but Goodie
Question 1: NBA icon Allen Iverson must pay $260,000 for standing by idly while his bodyguard beat up another man in a 2005 bar fight. Is Iverson deserving of the punishment?
He should have to pay because he’s man enough for a neck tattoo but not man enough to defend himself. Isn’t this what Iverson is famous for: standing idly by while people do his work for him? Only if a non-celebrity would also be given the same punishment in that situation. It’s kind of a guilty-by-association thing. Well this isn’t the first time Iverson has been fined, and the only ones being punished are his fans by the fact that they have to watch him play daily.
Question 2: The owner of the Dallas Mavericks, Mark Cuban, recently used the social networking blog site Twitter to express frustration about a loss. What impact will the growing trend of tweeting have on the sports world?
Instead of Terrell Owens dancing around or signing autographs, now he can tweet after a touchdown to tell everyone how great he is 140 characters at a time. Tweeting will be the end of the news industry as we know it. Why would anyone look to news sources for information when they can get it from the people who are creating it themselves? Bias reigns. Twitter is changing the world. It will bring up-to-the-second information about sports that people unable to attend the game might never hear about. My wife and I tweet at home during the day. But I highly doubt anyone else cares about my status and the fact that I can’t reach the remote. I don’t even think she cares, actually.
Question 3: After being cut by the St. Louis Rams earlier this month due to a salary-cap, wide receiver Torry Holt is being targeted by the Jacksonville Jaguars in free agency. Is this a good decision for the Jaguars?
I don’t think it matters. Since the “retirement” of Jimmy Smith, Jacksonville has been a place where receivers come to die. Come on Jimmy, snort a couple of lines and get back on the field. I don’t know anymore. The Jaguars simply seem to have no concept of how to form a team identity. Even when they’ve been good nobody outside of Florida knows who they are. Sure, if he’s a good player. Any step is a step up for the Jaguars. Unless you’re me and trip over your cane and break a hip, like I did last week.
Question 4: Miguel Tejada, the Houston Astro’s shortstop, was sentenced to a year of probation and fined $100,000 for covering up the steroid use of an ex-teammate. Are steroids now eternally associated with baseball?
Steroids are now eternally associated with this era of baseball, but you can’t tell me Ruthor Mantle took ‘roids. Baseball was such a better game when players just over-ate, boozed and womanized. Baseball used to represent all that was good in American sports. Now, baseball has become almost as unnoticed in the United States as soccer. It’s pretty common to hear about baseball and steroids in relation to each other. Baseball is not a fast sport to begin with. I dont know why they would need steroids. Between you and me, I think my wife uses steroids. She hits me really hard with her shoe.

Compiled by Heather Furey.