Police Beat week of Sept. 12

Aug. 31 Animal in Distress (Lot 55) – An officer met with a parking services employee who said he heard the sounds of an animal in distress. The officer located the vehicle and heard the sounds inside a car. The officer was able to unlock the vehicle to open the front hood and investigate. The officer found a small black kitten inside the wheel well of the car and removed the kitten. The kitten was taken to Building 41. The owner of the vehicle was informed that UPD entered the vehicle.

Aug. 31 Theft (Building U) – An officer met with a complainant who said his bike was missing. The complainant said he last saw his bike two weeks ago on the bike rack. The complainant said the bike was secured with a lock and cable. No search was conducted. There are no current suspects.

Aug. 31 False Police Report (UPD Building) – An officer conducted an interview with the subject in reference to sexual battery in the Wellness Complex’s Women’s Locker room. The original report occurred Aug. 22. During the interview, the suspect was read her rights. The suspect admitted to falsifying the police report because she went to work intoxicated. The suspect was arrested, issued a misdemeanor and referred to Student Conduct.

Sept. 3 Marijuana Possession and Paraphernalia (Osprey Crossings) – An officer arrived in reference to a drug investigation. The RAs said they noticed the smell of marijuana. The officer made contact with the residents who admitted to smoking marijuana. The suspects gave the officer the marijuana before he began a search. The officer then found empty beer bottles and paraphernalia. The students were referred to student conduct and the evidence was placed in the JSO property room.

Sept. 5 Theft (Osprey Fountains) – An officer met with a RA said while doing his rounds, he noticed a missing fire extinguisher. The officer conducted a search but did not find any evidence. There are no current suspects.

Sept. 5 Theft (Lot 18) – An officer met with a complainant who said his parking permit was missing. The complainant said the permit was not affixed to the window but was loosely places on the driver’s side dash area. The complainant said his car was not locked. The complainant said $20 was also missing from his car. The officer did not observe any forced entry. There are no current suspects.

Sept. 6 Shattered Glass (Osprey Cove) – An officer met with a complainant who said she received a call from an unknown number who hung up shortly after answering. The complainant then heard a loud noise at her door and discovered shattered glass. The complainant tracked the unknown number, and the officer called back but the individual on the line hung up. The officer then left a message for the owner of the phone to contact UPD. The complainant later called back to inform the officer that it was a prank her friends did. But she did not know who threw  glass bottle.

Sept. 6 Noise complaint (Osprey Fountains) – An officer responded to an anonymous noise complaint. Upon arrival to the suspected room, the officer noticed the smell of marijuana. The residents stated the smell was coming from one of the suitemates. The officer noticed the suspect had dilated eyes. There is no reported evidence. The case is closed.

Sept. 6 Suspicious Person (Lot 11) – An officer arrived in response to a complaint of a suspicious person pulling on vehicle door handles. The officer observed a vehicle pulling away with a driver who matched the description of the complaint. The officer conducted a traffic stop. The vehicle attempted to park in a nearby space but drove over the curb. He then reversed the car off the curb, then drove onto the curb again. The officer approached the car and noticed the smell of alcohol and a partially empty wine bottle in the back seat. The officer asked the driver to exit the car. The driver stumbled out of his car and the officer observed the driver’s bloodshot and watery eyes. The driver was unable to explain his suspicious activity. The officer ran the driver’s license and found it had been suspended on three accounts. The driver admitted to the suspension, and the officer issued him a citation of driving on a suspended license and possession of an open alcoholic container. The suspect was arrested.