Men finish second, women seventh

Both men’s and women’s cross country teams traveled to the University of Florida for the UF Gator Invitational Sept. 20, taking second and seventh place, respectively.

Freshman Jonathan Esteban placed first for the men’s team with an 8-K time of 26 minutes, 1 second. Sophomore Will Pearce finished second for the team and 31st overall with a time of 26:44.

There were 13 teams and 138 runners for the men. UF took first, sweeping the top-
five spots.

“Overall we are pleased with how the men raced today,” UNF head coach Mark VanAlstyne said. “There were several outstanding individual performances, notably Jonathan Esteban, Patrick Canfield and Tyler Hall. Finishing second as a team was commendable considering how tough it is to beat Florida on its home course.”

Hall ran a personal best of 27:20 – finishing fourth for the team, while Canfield came in third for the team with a time of 26:58.

The women placed seventh out of 14 schools represented at the meet.

Junior Hillary Adams finished first among the women’s team with a final time of 18:47 in the 5-K run.

Freshman Erin Heasley placed second for the team with a time of 19:19, and freshman Brooke Baumann was third with a time of 20:04.

“Saturday was a lot of fun,” Baumann said. “The first two meets were a warm up for us, but we all did better than we had expected for a big UF Invitational meet.”

VanAlstyne said a “top effort” was put out by the many girls who set personal records.

“This was another step up for the girls as they prepare to compete in the Atlantic Sun Championship,”
VanAlstyne said.

The Ospreys will head to Florida State University Sept. 27 for the FSU Invitational.

E-mail Amanda Foley at [email protected].