Ted R. Allaire Memorial Scholarship awarded to UNF student

Stock photo by Keri Weiland

The UNF Coggin College of Business established a scholarship this year for past beneficiaries of an organization that fulfills the dreams of children who have long-term illnesses.

The recipient of the Ted R. Allaire Memorial Scholarship must first be a part of the organization, Dreams Come True of Jacksonville Inc., and be seeking a major in business at UNF. The scholarship gives past recipients of the Dreams Come True of Jacksonville Inc. $1,100 toward their schooling at the university.

Earlier this year, an anonymous donor with ties to UNF and Dreams Come True of Jacksonville Inc. created the scholarship and donated the necessary funds, according to a representative of Coggin who wished to be anonymous.

Dr. Ajay Samant, dean of UNF’s Coggin College of Business, said the college’s business scholarship committee is responsible for identifying a business student who meets the criteria after the individual submits an application.

In addition to being a past recipient of the Dreams Come True of Jacksonville Inc., the winner of the scholarship is determined by meeting several additional criteria, including the successful submission of a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid form every year, a 2.5 GPA and a major in business, according to the UNF website. The individual must also be an incoming freshman or transfer student.

Vanessa Baffour, a recipient of Dreams Come True of Jacksonville Inc. and UNF business management freshman, was selected as this year’s scholarship winner. She is the scholarship’s first recipient.

The representative said there is currently only enough funding for one student. But she said it’s possible the Ted R. Allaire Memorial Scholarship can be awarded to multiple students, in the future.

“The scholarship is a wonderful way to reach out to students and to help further their education,” she said.

Any interested in donating can visit the Dreams Come True of Jacksonville Inc. website.

Email Betsy Dailo at [email protected].