Staff Blog: Merriman proves athletes and stars don’t mix

San Diego County deputies responded to a call from San Diego Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman’s house around 3:45 a.m. Sept. 6.

Merriman’s girlfriend, reality television star Tila Nguyen “Tequila”, placed an emergency call saying she was choked by Merriman and thrown to the ground when she tried to leave. Tequila signed a citizen’s arrest warrant, charging Merriman with battery and false imprisonment, San Diego County Sheriff’s Lt. Gary Steadman said, according to the Associated Press.

“Tequila”, who is known for her VH1 reality shows, was taken to after deputies determined her to be intoxicated.  Authorities released Merriman from custody around 11 a.m. the same morning.  Merriman’s lawyer, Todd Macaluso, told the AP that Merriman committed no wrongdoing, and that he was just trying to protect the safety of Miss Nguyen.

Merriman’s predicament is not the first of its sort amongst professional athletes.  Although some athletes can maintain fairly tame relationships with famous partners, such as Tony Parker and Eva Longoria, others have proven to be less successful.

Former Chicago Bulls power forward Dennis Rodman, may be the most famous pro-athlete of late for making questionable relationship choices including stints with Madonna and Carmen Electra.  However, even players whom are in high social regard have chosen some questionable big name partners.  Tara Reid, of American Pie fame, has dated NFL players Tom Brady, Kyle Boller, and Jeremy Shockey, while Chicago Bears Pro-Bowl linebacker Brian Urlacher dated Paris Hilton for a brief stint in 2003.

These relationships have been going for generations and include the famous pairing of Major League Baseball great Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe.  However as Merriman, Lance Armstrong, Tony Romo and any fan of “America’s Team” can attest, they usually don’t end very well for anyone.