Game of the Week: UNF tries to avenge two 2008 shutouts

The UNF volleyball team will have a chance to prove they can compete with one of the best teams in the Atlantic Sun Conference.

The Ospreys will take on the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles, who finished the 2008 season with the best record in the A-Sun (18-2), Sept. 26 at the UNF Arena. Although the Eagles finished last season at the top, they were not able to compete in postseason play because they are still in the process of transitioning to Division I.

Last year, UNF fell to the Florida Gulf Coast twice in A-Sun play — both times losing all three sets. The Eagles ranked third in the A-Sun preseason coaches poll while UNF was ranked seventh.

“I haven’t had a chance to do my scouting for them yet, but we’re definitely going to be doing a lot to prepare for them,” UNF Head Coach Kevin Campbell said. “They may have lost a few key players from last year, but that doesn’t mean that’s a good thing.”

At time of publication FGCU holds second place in the A-Sun standings with a 6-6 overall record, while UNF is in eighth with an 5-6 record overall this season.

UNF started off A-Sun play slow this year, dropping their first three matches against conference teams before picking up their first conference win verse USC Upstate Sept. 19. However, last year, UNF proved that the team’s pace can change quickly when they opened A-Sun play with four straight wins, but then finished the season with a 9-11 record in the A-Sun.

“The girls leading this team have been on 4-21 teams before without a chance to play in the postseason,” Campbell said. “They are determined to help lead the team to its highest potential.”