Graduate students receive another career option in the business world

The Coggin College of Business flagship program, international business, is offering a second international MBA program beginning spring 2010 to counter its older Global MBA program.

The Ibero-American MBA, which has been in the works for two years, is designed to boost students’ knowledge and prepare them for a career in the Latin-American business industry, said Andres Gallo, director of UNF’s international business program.

“Big companies are interested in this program because they have a need for employees who understand Latin America,” Gallo said.

The universities participating in the program are the Instituto Universitario ESEADE in Buenos Aires, Argentina and the Universidad Rey Juan Carlos in Madrid.

Students in the degree program will receive two masters degrees, one from UNF and one from Rey Juan Carlos. ESEADE will give students a certificate of completion.

Both universities as well as UNF will admit 14 students to enter the program. Gallo said it will be one cohort. All 42 students follow the same travel schedule, he said.

After the first online course is taken, students will begin the program in Buenos Aires around March 15 through August. The Madrid program runs from September to December. UNF finishes up the program from January to March.

Students will only be traveling for one year.

“Latin-American businesses wouldn’t let their employees off of work longer than one year to complete the program,” Gallo said.

But the program is unique to its language requirement; students must be able to speak Spanish to enter the program.

The Global MBA program offered by UNF doesn’t require its students to speak another language. But in the Ibero-American program, the majority of the classes are taught in Spanish.

This program is a necessity because the data shows U.S. and Spain becoming more powerful investment partners over the next 10 to 15 years, Gallo said.

From 2002 through 2007, Spain has been exporting more into the U.S. than the other way around. But in 2008 and 2009, through July, the U.S. is exporting more, according to census.gov.

President Barack Obama announced last week he is hosting Spanish President Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero Oct. 13 for consultation on a number, one being a focus on global economic recovery, according to a White House press release.

Applications are now being accepted to the program and are due Dec. 1. Applicants are accepted on a rolling basis.

Gallo said he recommends interested applicants to apply early. There are two interview dates: Oct. 27 and Nov. 15.

But if the spots fill up in October, there won’t be any interviews in November, he said.

Interested applicants are asked to contact Gallo directly at [email protected].

New International Business MBA

• Begins spring 2010
  • Students travel to two different universities:

– Instituto Universitario ESEADE in Buenos Aires, Argentina
– Universidad Rey Juan Carlos in Madrid, Spain

• 14 UNF students will be admitted
  • Applications now accepted on a rolling basis
  • Applications due Dec. 1