Ludacris: Busts some ditties, flies high

Atlanta hip-hop artists spits some beats at free-for-students, sold-out show at the UNF Amphitheater

Ludacris visited UNF Amphitheater for a show of his hip-hop antics Thursday, Oct. 28, drawing in the biggest crowd that has ever even close to packed the venue, said Randall Robinson, adviser of Osprey Productions.

Luda took to the stage, which a sea of ecstatic fans engulfed, and began with some of his most popular songs like “Act a Fool.”

His musical versatility can be seen in some of his most celebrated collaborations with artists ranging from Ciara to Usher all the way to Jesse McCartney. This might be attributed to the Atlanta-based artist’s personal eclectic list of most-pumped musicians.

“I listen to all different kinds of music but [my favorite artists] as of right now would have to be Jay-Z, Nas, Outkast and rock ‘n’ roll-wise [my favorites are] Creed and Red Hot Chili Peppers,” Ludacris said to the Spinnaker.

Luda performed to an enthused and (fittingly) buzzing crowd for just under an hour.

“It was awesome,” said Kristin Lazowick, a UNF accounting junior. “I just wish it could have been a little longer.”

Ludacris hyped the crowd with sickeningly swift rap sections from his upcoming album “Battle of the Sexes,” which has yet to be stamped with a release date.

Fans echoed each word of radio hard-hitters “Pimpin’ All Over the World” and “Money Maker,” to name a few.

It wasn’t until he asked the question, “So where my weed smokers at?” that the crowd erupted, fists flying into the air in cannabis-loving camaraderie.

“So put your lighters in the air!” Ludacris said.

The lights were cut, and the Amphitheater filled with the hearty glow of hundreds of lighters and cell phones. Puffs of smoke billowed from the crowd, sweetening the night air with the heavy aroma of the marriage of marijuana and Black and Milds.

After this, the crowd ironically spazzed into a mosh-like frenzy, jumping and rapping a two song set consisting of “Move B—-” and “Get Back.”

Ludacris agrees that nothing beats a party and a good show.

“The best college party I’ve ever been to would probably have to be a party and a show like this,” Ludacris said to the Spinnaker.

Accompanying Luda was DJ JC who gloated his mixing capability by scratching with everything from his fickle fingers, his 360 degree shoulder spins and his musical mouth.

The concert sold out earlier in the week at 6,000 tickets and Osprey Productions ordered extra security to handle the crowd, Robinson said.

Expectations for the utter chaos of a Ludacris concert called for the concert staff to attend meetings for two months in advance to prepare for the event, Robinson said.

While Luda was in the Osprey nest, he said would liken himself to another feathered friend.

“I would have to say I would be an eagle, because eagles fly alone,” Ludacris said to the Spinnaker. “Fly high.”

Most students were enraptured with the rap superstar’s performance.

“I liked it a lot,” Lazowick said. “I forgot how many good songs he had.”

However, not all Ospreys were left dazed in amazement.

“I’ve been listening to him ever since he came out, and I just wish he would’ve played some of his earlier stuff,” said Matt Moran, a UNF communication senior.

Overall, the show proved to be an overwhelming success, ending the enchanting evening with the equally magical tossing-of-the-T-shirt.

How’s that for real southern hospitality?