News in brief: The Vagina Monologues, Fair games and the Moscow Ballet

Moscow Ballet will be performing their production of “Great Russian Nutcracker” on Nov. 14 at the Lazarra Performance Hall in the Fine Arts CenterPhoto courtesy UNF Music Flagship Program Facebook page
Moscow Ballet will be performing their production of “Great Russian Nutcracker” on Nov. 14 at the Lazarra Performance Hall in the Fine Arts Center
Photo courtesy UNF Music Flagship Program Facebook page

Veterans Day

Campus will be closed for Veterans Day with the exception of the UNF Bookstore, which will be open from 8 a.m. until 6:30 p.m.

The Vagina Monologues auditions

What: Read-aloud auditions for UNF’s annual production of the “The Vagina Monologues.” Headshots will be taken on site.

When: 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. on Nov. 16

Who: UNF students and members of the local community are invited to audition. Acting experience is not required.

Where: Student Union (Bldg. 58W), room 3804

10-minute plays

What: Auditions for 10-minute plays written by UNF students and chosen by the Department of English to be presented on Dec. 6 and Dec. 7

When: Auditions are Nov. 12 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Who: 20 roles available for 15 to 50-year-old males and females

Where: Frederick H. Schultz Hall (Bldg. 9), room 1233

UNF alumni compete in fair games

Who: The Alumni Association, contact Leah Case at  [email protected] to join the team (only one spot open).

What: Collegiate Night at the Fair. UNF has a team of 14 alumni who will compete in games like the toilet seat toss, hillbilly golf, farmhand trivia and the bigfoot race.

When: Nov. 12 at 6:30 p.m.

Where: Jacksonville Agricultural Fair Arena

Cost: Those who were placed on the team will receive one free ticket for admission. Regular admission fees ($8 for one adult ticket, $5 for a child’s ticket) apply to all others.

Jazz Ensemble Concert

What: UNF’s Jazz Ensemble II and III will perform in concert.

When: Nov. 12 from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Where: Student Union (Bldg. 58W), Boathouse

Cost: Free

Artist Lecture

Photo courtesy UNF's Calendar of Events page
Photo courtesy UNF’s Calendar of Events page

What: Artists Coral Lambert and Paul Higham will be giving an artist lecture and participating in a “Fab Lab” demonstration of “Rapid Prototype Technology and Environmental Foundry: Class Mold Process.”

When: Lecture on Nov. 13 from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., demonstration from Nov. 13 to Nov. 16

Where: Lecture in Fine Arts Center (Bldg. 45), demonstration behind the sculpture lab (Bldg. 45, room 1500)

Cost: Free

Moscow Ballet’s “Great Russian Nutcracker”

What: Moscow Ballet will be performing their production of “Great Russian Nutcracker” at UNF featuring life-sized Matryoshka dolls and a complete score by Tchaikovsky.

When: The play will be from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Nov. 14.

Where: Lazzara Performance Hall in the Fine Arts Center (Bldg. 45)

Cost: Standard tickets for students with ID are $31. Left and right balcony seats are $38, center balcony seats are $48, lower balcony seats are $63 and orchestra seating is $85. Tickets can be purchased on Ticket Return.

UNF Music Flagship Program Facebook page

Wind Symphony/Concert Band

What: The UNF Wind Symphony and Concert Band will perform in concert.

When: Nov. 14 at 7:30 p.m.

Where: Robinson Theater (Bldg. 14A)

Cost: Free for students with ID, $10 for one adult ticket.

Congestion in Lot 2

Lot 2 will experience congestion on Monday, Nov. 17, from about 9:30 a.m. until 1 p.m. due to a school matinee performance in the Fine Arts Center. Those in need of disabled parking spaces will need to seek alternative parking in Garage 44, Lot 1 and Lot 3. The UNF Police Department will be present to monitor and direct traffic.

Email Jasmine Marshall at [email protected]