ComicCon flies back into UNF

Leave the kryptonite at home. The comic book convention, brought to you by the Comic Book Connection and Comic-Con-Plus, returns to campus Thursday, Feb. 25. The con proved a hit last go-around on campus Jan. 27.

The convention provides students the opportunity to purchase rare comic books and memorabilia. Joe Peace, one half of Comic-Con-Plus’ founders, provides an abundance of 50-cent comics for customers to peruse and purchase. Thursday’s event also provides old paperback comics and backs issues for collectors to fill in gaps in their collections.

Founders Chris King and Peace say they hope to see a large crowd of people participate and have a good time at this event.

This graphic get-down includes door prizes, with Peace giving out holographic posters of Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four and the Incredible Hulk. Peace doles out door prizes every hour and sometimes gives out hundreds of dollars worth of comic books to students.

King and Peace say they’ve got their fingers crossed to see more customers participate in the fandom of comic books by dressing up in costume and remembering to have fun during the process.

“It’s a lot of fun when they’re all dressed up, and we’re watching the expressions on everybody else’s faces,” Peace said.

King enjoys participating in comic book conventions, dressing up as Batman, The Joker and Borg from “Star Trek.” He provides entertainment at some events such as allowing participants to view “The Matrix Trilogy” aka old Batman cartoons. King wants to see the convention grow into a larger event drawing more folks and more comic book vendors.

The convention also showcases a local artist to draw live sketches.

“He has a really neat style of drawing,” Peace said.

ComicCon throws down at 3 p.m. and runs until 8 p.m. in room 3804 on the third floor of the Student Union/W. Admission is $3 with a $1 discount with a UNF student ID. Customers dressed up in full costume will receive free admission into the event.