News in Briefs: Rep. Ander Crenshaw to visit UNF, President Barnes gives State of the Student Body speech

Rep. Ander Crenshaw to visit UNF for free, open to public workshop

Rep. Ander Crenshaw, R-Fla., will speak at UNF’s University Center for a homeownership promotion and foreclosure prevention workshop Saturday, Feb. 27 from 10 a.m. to noon.

Multiple national and local organizations will also be involved in the workshop, such as the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, Jacksonville Legal Aid, Jacksonville Urban League, Three Rivers Legal Services and WealthWatchers.

Attendees will be allowed to address the representatives of these organizations one on one during the workshop, which is free and open to the public.

Interested persons can pre-register at crenshaw.house.gov under the “Special Events” section, or call Nathan Riska at (904) 598-0481.

President Barnes gives State of the Student Body speech

Student Body President John Barnes addressed the student body just before the Nest Fest 2010: Homecoming Pageant Feb. 22. In his speech, Barnes outlined the progress Student Government has made over the last year.

Barnes cited the opening of the Student Union and the continuing Osprey Tailgate Classic as major accomplishments.

“[Osprey Productions] uses the Student Union in a way that maximizes student participation,” Barnes said.

He also announced the new Student Wellness and Sports Education Center, which will “enhance healthy life skills and sports and fitness skills for the future,” Barnes said.

Fiction Fix literary journal calls for submissions

Fiction Fix, a literary journal started by UNF English Proffessor Mark Ari, is calling for fiction and visual art submissions for its Spring 2010 issue. Students have the opportunity to be published along side writers and artists from around the country.

The journal has published six issues since its inception in 2002.

The deadline to submit work is Feb. 28, and submissions may be made through the publication’s Web site, fictionfix.net.

For more information, contact Fiction Fix editor-in-chief April Bacon at [email protected] or Professor Mark Ari at [email protected].