Police Beat: Damage done to students’ cars

Photo by Camille Shaw
Photo by Camille Shaw

Student’s car keyed in Lot 18

A female student reported that someone keyed her car in Lot 18 March 2.

She parked her car around 9:15 a.m. When she returned at about 5:15 p.m., she drove home. When she got out of her car at her home, she realized the car had been damaged on the driver side door.

The victim said she didn’t know of anyone who would vandalize her car.

The reporting UNFPD officer noticed six separate lines. He could tell by the depth of the marks that they were intentionally placed on the car. The larger lines started at the driver side door and continued until the back passenger door.

There are no known suspects at this time, and patrol efforts have been suspended.

UNF student’s registration decal goes missing

A UNF student reported his registration decal on his license plate missing March 3.

He said he parked his car in Lot 9 at 9:05 a.m. He went to his trunk to grab something, and he said he was certain he saw his registration decal on the license plate. Then he walked to Building 12.

When he came back at 9:30 a.m., he saw somebody from Jacksonville Parking Enforcement near his vehicle. The man said he wrote him a ticket for not having a valid registration decal on his tag.

The student noticed his decal wasn’t there anymore. The cost to renew registration for his tag was $46.10.

Patrol efforts have been suspended.

Female student has tires slashed, thinks ex-boyfriend might be behind it

A UNF student reported that her tires were slashed March 3. She said her car was parked in Lot 18 between 7:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. near the tailgate for the basketball game. When she returned to the car, she noticed her front passenger side tire was flat.

When she had it changed on March 4, it was discovered the tire had been cut through the sidewall by what appeared to be a knife. Later that day, she had a flat tire on the passenger rear side of the car. At least six small punctures were found in the sidewall. It was believed both tires were cut at the same time.

The student said she thought her ex-boyfriend may have been the one who slashed the tires. He was at the tailgate the time of the incident. She asked the ex-boyrfriend about the tires, and he said he didn’t know about the tires being cut. He also assured her he had nothing to do with it.

UNFPD plans to follow up with the ex-boyfriend.

Damage on the hood

On March 5, a student reported damage to the hood of her car.

The student said she parked her car in Lot 18 around 11:30 a.m. and came back to her car around 6:10 p.m. When she came back, she noticed small dents and a small plastic piece broken off her hood.

She said she spoke with a man who said he saw a fraternity tailgating in Lot 18, and they placed an unknown object on the hood of her vehicle for a short time. The student said she doesn’t think the damage was due to malicious or criminal behavior.

Because there aren’t any suspects, patrol efforts have been suspended.

For more information or news tips, contact [email protected]; if you see an error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact [email protected].