Senate committees discuss Boathouse renovation, senator absences

Senate Still2
Photo by Aidan Scurti

Budget and Allocations

Student Government (SG) President Joseph Turner appeared before the April 6 Budget and Allocations Committee (BAC) to initiate a special funding request for a proposed Boathouse renovation in the amount of $26,123. The amount requested, which includes a 10 percent contingency fund, reflects the cost of phase one of two phases, which in total may exceed $171,000.

“We did a survey at the beginning of this year in asking about Boathouse renovations, and over 60 percent of the students surveyed were in favor of the renovation,” Turner said.

Phase one will include tile flooring and a menu change from Chartwells, as well as aesthetic changes to include a textured brick wall rack, a window liner to limit sunlight and a wooden wall wrap installation.

The motion passed 5-0-0, and will move on to the Senate floor agenda next Monday.

Constitution and Statutes

Senator Farah Azzouz and Senator Ian Harvel appeared before the Constitution and Statutes Committee (CSC) for absence appeal hearings. Azzouz was left with three absence points and the ability to continue in her senatorial position without trial after the committee approved her Feb. 9, Feb. 12 and March 9 request.

Harvel requested that the committee remove points acquired from Feb. 23 while running for Mr. UNF and on March 9 while participating in a charity event. In defending the absences, Harvel said he did not turn in the required absence forms due to “extreme laziness,” and that it would be “pointless to remove me [from office] now” because his last senate meeting will take place next week.

Senator Gustavo Ascanio initially motioned to remove the points as requested, but the motion was later rescinded when the other committee members refused to second the motion. Harvel asked the committee if it would save time if he resigned.

The power to remove Harvel does not rest with the CSC. With the motion for the senator’s absence appeal failing to pass, Harvel would appear before the Senate for trial beginning Monday; however, a letter of resignation is expected.

“We have a policy for absentees and that’s what we want to enforce,” Ascanio said. “Earlier in the semester, people who did not even fill out the absentee forms had points removed. We want to see that they make themselves accountable. Your first duty as a Senator is to be here.”

There is no section in the SG Constitution or Policies and Procedures that outlines how the CSC should proceed with taking away absentee points, but the committee would like to establish a general criteria, Ascanio said.

Title IV revisions to Chapter 4 Section 400.1 subsection H, 402.2 subsection A, B and F, 402.4, 403.5 subsection 2, 406.1 B, and 408.1 were also unanimously passed during the meeting. The revisions consisted of corrections and updates to outdated language, with no procedural changes taking effect.

For more information or news tips, contact [email protected]; if you see an error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact [email protected].