Police Beat Hall of Fame Spring 2010

The last Spinnaker of the semester is sure to bring many smiles during finals, if only for Police Beat Hall of Fame. In this space, we’ve summarized spring 2010’s Police Beat section in all its glory — compiling the most shocking, out-of-this-world, hilarious moments of UNF crime to boot.

Feb. 5 – Petty Theft (Building W) – UPD was dispatched to Osprey Landing in reference to a student who reported her underwear stolen. She said she’d placed her clothes in the dryer at 8 a.m. and upon returning to retrieve the items, noticed all of her bras and underwear were missing. Due to the dampness in the laundry room, UPD was unable to get fingerprints.

Feb. 25 – Drug possession (Building 12) – A UNF student fell asleep under a table on the fourth floor of the Library. UPD arrived, searched him and found a bag of marijuana. The student was issued a notice to appear and referred to Student Conduct.

Feb. 28 – Information (Building 55) – Dennis Negrin, manager of Ozzie’s Convenience Store & Grill, contacted UPD after a customer, Justin Teolis, became rude and disgusted he did not get enough cheese on his quesadilla. The customer was told more cheese costs extra money, but Teolis told UPD he was dissatisfied with the customer service he received. UPD passed this information onto the Area Coordinator Adam Wade.

March 2 – Information (Building 50) – A student became frustrated during an exam and began asking the teacher multiple questions about it. When the professor said he could not answer his questions, the student purposefully broke his ink pen in half and stormed out of the room.

March 2 – Information (Garage 44) – Two drivers wanted the same space in the parking garage by the Fine Arts Center, and therefore, engaged in what the police report called a “standoff” for the space. The driver who lost the standoff retreated from the space, and the victorious driver and passenger began walking toward the exit. The driver who did not get the space then reportedly drove toward the driver as if to hit him and then stopped short of doing so. The officer left a note on the car for the driver to call, and when she did, she denied swerving her car toward the couple.

March 4 – Damaged Property (Building Y) – UPD responded to the Osprey Landing, where a room was filled with smoke. When UPD asked a student what happened, he exclaimed the microwave “blew up.” Someone was asleep in the smoke-filled room, and no matter how hard the officers tried, they could not wake her. Therefore, they carried her from the room. The officers returned to the room to find two smoldering pillows. They took the pillows outside, where they burst into flames. A student was able to assuage the flames with a bucket of water from his truck. Both students admitted to having been drinking.

April 2 – Criminal mischief, Simple Battery (Lot 1) – At approximately 9:55 p.m., off-duty UPD officers called police to report a disturbance between two rival dance groups. Students from Bethune-Cookman University’s dance group “What’s Next” were exiting their vehicles at the intersection of UNF Drive and Lot 1, impeding traffic and becoming increasingly rowdy. One of the dance group’s members, Reneece Mills, said after competing in an event in Building 45, members of a rival dance group, Florida A&M University’s “Boyz of Poison,” had kicked his rear hatch-back door, causing damage to his vehicle. “What’s Next” member Jarrel Knowles said he didn’t know what provoked the actions of the members of the group “Boyz of Poison,” who left the scene before they could be questioned about the incident.

April 7 – Grand Theft (Housing Office 875) – UPD found a missing golf cart in Candy Cane Lake. The golf cart was submerged approximately four feet and was around 20-25 feet away from the shore. The golf cart was removed using a backhoe but was damaged beyond repair. The cart’s cost was estimated at $3,000.