Errors lead to latter game loss

The UNF volleyball team suffered a 3-2 loss against Campbell University Oct. 17.

UNF led the first two games winning the sets 25-15 and 25-18. The last two sets were lost to Campbell 25-21 and 25-20.

These sets were filled with frustration and tension, said UNF head coach Kevin Campbell.

“We’re frustrated,” said Campbell after Friday’s game. “We played amazingly in games one and two, but we felt a lot of tension, and that hurt us in the next two games. By the time we started playing well again, it was too late.”

The Ospreys lost 15-11 with seven errors in the fifth set. Junior outside hitter Agata Dawdowicz said it was a devastating final match.

“Of course I’m frustrated because we played well,” Dawdowicz said. “We just needed one more game to finish with a win.”

Despite the loss, Dawidowicz had a second-set win and helped lead the Ospreys with 34 kills and 10 digs.

“[Dawidowicz] had a good match but needs to improve on her game still,” Campbell said. “She needs to be more consistent with her jump serve.”

Sophomore middle blocker and right side hitter Kaley Read also soared during the match with 12 kills and 12 digs.

The Ospreys stopped the Camels with a .000 hitting percentage, but dragged in the latter part of the match.

Read and Dawidowicz teamed up and closed the gap 18-17 in the fourth set but was no match for Campbell’s defense in the fifth set.

Many errors were made by the Ospreys in the deciding set of the match that cost them needed points.

In the last set, three attack errors, a service error and a block error were made – the highest number of any errors made throughout the game.

The team has other matches ahead of them, and it hopes to move on from these mistakes and keep a momentum of energy going throughout the remaining performances, Campbell said.

“We need to work on having a constant energy going,” Dawidowicz said. “We need to finish in the plays where we don’t follow through.”

UNF is scheduled to face Belmont University Oct. 24 in Nashville, Tenn.

E-mail Heather Furey at [email protected].