Week of Welcome features B.o.B's head-bobbing beats

The sixth annual Week of Welcome will begin Aug. 20 with freshman housing check-in and finish up Aug. 26  with the Student Government Osprey Tailgate Classic.

The week is full of hokey entertainment, free food and a slew of slightly amusing games.

Events such as a comedy show, Welcome to College Luau and Osprey Idol are among the traditional favorites and will take place among new events like the Student Union Extravaganza, Dunk the Dean and the Student Union First Birthday.

Comedy Night will take place Saturday, Aug. 21 at 8p.m. in the Lazzara Theater and star Josh Sneed and Marianne Sierk.

The week will end with the largest event, the third annual Tailgate Classic, Aug. 26. The entire event is free, starting with barbeque served at 6p.m. among tables of student organizations promoting their groups. Around 6:15 Student Body President Sitou Byll-Cataria will address the crowd followed by UNF President John Delaney.

The main event of the night is a performance from rapper and recording artist B.o.B with opening beats from Playboy Tre’ and Yelawolf.

The 19-year-old’s album, “The Adventures of Bobby Ray,” debuted at number one this past April. He has two, top-10 hits titled “Airplanes” and “Nothing on You.” B.o.B new single, “Magic,” featuring Weezer’s Rivers Cuomo again exemplifies his promise as a catchy rhymester that sparks memories of when Outkast took over the radio.

Assistant Director of Student Government John Simms said the cost of Student Government Osprey Tailgate is $55,000 and will come from the Activities and Services Fees.

Osprey Productions, an agency of Student Government, was sent a list of artists that were available for Aug. 26. Recording artist Jay Sean was the agency’s first choice to perform and B.o.B was OP’s second choice. However, it was soon discovered that Jay Sean would be in Europe during the time, so he was not actually available. Other artists on the list were Jason Derulo and New Found Glory.

Director of Osprey Productions Michael Naughton said B.o.B was his personal first choice to perform at the SG Tailgate Classic and said it’s going to be an amazing show.

“We got him with no worries,” Naughton said. “He wanted to visit Jacksonville. He loves UNF. I don’t see why not.”

Naughton said that B.o.B is a good artist because he speaks to a lot of different genres, including rap, hip-hop and Top 40.

There were 2,000 attendees at last year’s Osprey Tailgate, but Naughton said he is aiming for 3,000 to 4,000 attendees. With the success of rap artist Ludacris’ October 2009 concert in the Student Union Amphitheater reaching 5,000 attendees, Naughton said he is confident that B.o.B can match that same success. His goal is to fill the Amphitheater, which can hold the entire student body, between 16,000 and 17,000 people.