The Weekend Ahead: June 30 – July 4

Graphic by Ben Cross
Graphic by Ben Cross

Step into your JNCO jeans (hopefully Ospreys can’t actually do this), because Independence Day is Monday. This means there are parties all weekend and no classes on Monday.

Friday, July 1 and Saturday, July 2: Closing Ceremonies and The Funeral of Burro Bar

What: Jacksonville will bury Burro Bar this weekend, but this concert venue isn’t leaving without a show. Join the city and a slew of bands this weekend as we say goodbye to another local dive.

When: Friday: 8 p.m. ; Saturday: 5:30 p.m.

Where: Burro Bar

Saturday, July 2: Make America Gay Again

What: The Glitterbomb Show is back with more sketches, drag performances, speeches and more. A sign language interpreter will be there to translate each message, and all proceeds will go toward the Pulse Orlando Victims fund. Tickets are $5 here or $10 at the door.

When: 7 p.m. and 11 p.m.

Where: Rain dogs.

Saturday, July 2: Void’s Great American Sip N Slide

What: Grab a fresh towel, shades and your license and drive on over to Beach Boulevard. This 21-and-over event will feature a show from Multi-instrumentalist Zach Deputy, a hefty supply of alcohol and (obviously) water slides. Small bags (think clutches) are allowed. Pre-sale tickets are $15 here or $20 at the door.

When: 5-10 p.m.

Where: Adventure Landing

Saturday, July 2: Dapper Day at the Park

What: DapperJax is giving you another excuse to get spruced up this weekend. Join the rest of the fancy Jacksonville community at the baseball park as the Suns play the Tennessee Smokies. Tickets are $8 here (enter “DAPPER” when prompted to enter a code).

When: 6 p.m.

Where: Jacksonville’s Baseball Grounds

Monday, July 4: Fourth of July Celebration

What: Remembering America’s Declaration of Independence is worth more celebration than just a firework show. That’s why the Jacksonville Landing is having live music from rock and country singer Brittney Lawrence to pop group Broke Till Friday leading up to fireworks at 9:45 p.m.

When: Events: 3 p.m. – 1 a.m. ; Fireworks: 9:45 p.m.

Where: Jacksonville Landing

Monday, July 4: Jacksonville Beaches Fireworks

What: If you live at the beach, there’s a party coming your way too. Walk to the sandy shore near First Street to get a clear view of the firework show your taxes pay for.

When: 9 p.m.

Where: Jacksonville Beach Pier