Top five songs about bank robbery and heists

Grab your gat and bulletproof vest because it is time to make that money the old fashioned way. Steal it! These songs make the potential risk of a stroll through county jail feel like the good life, as long as you got that paper to make your way across state lines. With “Takers” hitting theaters Aug. 27, you should get ready to blast these songs through your radio right before you blast the door off of that bank vault.

“Bank Robber Man” by Lenny Kravitz

The man continues to bring down good ol’ Lenny Kravitz. First it was “Mr. Cab Driver” giving him a ride, now the Po-Po is giving Kravitz crap for looking like the guy who just robbed the Bank of America. This song plays with jagged classic rock riffs which reinforce the awesome skills of the modern day Hendrix. Meanwhile, police sirens are blaring in the background while Kravitz soulfully sings about his terrible predicament. “Do you think that I am the one that did it/ Just because I’m tan?/ Just then the officer at hand said/ ‘I don’t give a damn that you are in a rock and roll band.’” Does it make you feel strong, coppers? Leave Lenny alone.

“Gimme the Loot” by The Notorious B.I.G.

Our beloved B.I.G. helped shape gangsta rap into one the most talked about and controversial subgenres of the 1990s. This song is just a taste of the mayhem that was to come after Biggie Smalls’ debut album, “Ready to Die.” Smalls steals all your jewelry, money and dignity. Yeah, and your earrings, too. He raps behind a milieu of samples, “I’ve been robbing motherf—–s since the slave ships/ with the same clips and the same four-five/ two point-blank, a mother——’s sure to die.” It’s raw, but Biggie Smalls means business.

“Bank Robber” by The Clash

This ballad from one of punk rock’s awesome pioneers tells a story about the narrator’s docile, bank robbin’ daddy. Joe Strummer sings over the simple setup of the song as he sings in his commonly indiscernible drunken speech. It’s kind of a downer in comparison to some of The Clash’s other work, but at least you can sort of rock out to it.

“Take The Money and Run” by The Steve Miller Band

This classic song tells the story of two young, high, lovers who get mixed up in the wrong affairs. Billy Joe and Bobbie Sue, your typical Bonnie and Clyde pair, take a trip down to El Paso,Texas, where Steve Miller sings, “That’s where they ran into a great big hassle/ Billy Joe shot a man while robbing his castle/ Bobbie Sue took the money and run.” Meanwhile, Detective Mack knows all the clues and is in hot pursuit of the criminals. The song is catchy, and you’ll have the repetitive chorus stuck in your head.

“Robbery, Assault and Battery” by Genesis

This song clocks in at a little over six minutes long, but this is an interesting song for the band. Phil Collins and Co. play some progressive, experimental styles on this song, throwing in keyboard solos and intricate drum patterns. Collins sings, “Picked up the diamonds and bundles of fivers/ He pushed them well down in his sack. But the alarm had been sounded, he was completely surrounded/ But he had some more tricks up his sleeve.” The song comes off like a poppy song by Rush, but luckily Genesis makes up for it in the ‘80s.