The Weekend Ahead: August 4-7

Graphic by Ben Cross
Graphic by Ben Cross

Only two weeks separate Ospreys from this relaxed summer vibe and the too-busy-for-anything fall attitude. Make the most of your free time by going to late night events and getting everything you need before move-in.

Thursday, August 4 — Art and Ideas: Gwen Chanzit

What: Denver Art Museum’s Gwen Chanzit will discuss the work of younger artists in “Confronting the Canvas” in the context of women’s contributions to art in the twentieth century. This event is free, but interested students should reserve their spot here.

When: 7-8:30 p.m.

Where: MOCA

Friday, August 5 – Sunday, August 7 — Florida Sales Tax Holiday

What: Add a few store-wide sales and back-to-school coupons to Florida’s annual tax-free weekend and what do you get? An excuse to go shopping. Even though Jacksonville only has a seven percent sales tax — meaning you owe $0.07 for every $1 you spend — this amount adds up quickly. If you plan on shopping for fall, now is the time to do so because tax-free means discounted items. Ospreys can get all the deets here.

When: Friday at 12 a.m. through Sunday at 11:59 p.m.

Where: Florida

Friday, August 5 — UNF Astronomy Night

What: Let the wonder of our desolate galaxy fascinate you before late night study sessions make you reconsider being a nerd. As long as the rain moves on to another city, attendees can view our moon and stars through the Science and Engineering Department’s high-tech telescope. The 9-10 p.m. reservations are sold out, so if you didn’t reserve your spot, come at 10 p.m.

When: 9-11 p.m.

Where: Science and Engineering Building rooftop

Saturday, August 6 — August Beach Cleanup and The Hip Abduction concert

What: Team up with First Coast Surfrider to clean up our beautiful shoreline. Walk over to Lynch’s Irish Pub afterward to listen to tropical music from The Hip Abduction and celebrate your good deed. Tickets for the concert are $15 here.

When: Cleanup: 3-5 p.m. ; Concert: 5-10 p.m.

Where: Jacksonville Beach Pier

Sunday, August 7 — Sunrise Pilates

What: Squeeze those glutes on Jacksonville Beach’s soft sandy shore. Pilates on Third will help you wake up refreshed with some core exercises and free coffee. You don’t have to pay for a gym membership to attend this class. Pilates on Third will be accepting donations for Chemo Noir, a nonprofit organization dedicated to financially supporting families affected by cancer.

When: 6:30 a.m.

Where: Sixth Avenue North and Third Street