News in Brief – Oct. 22

Code Red put to the test
UNF Crisis Management Team will conduct a test of the Code Red Campus Alert System in the afternoon Oct. 23.

The Crisis Management Team will activate the automated phone notification system and send a recorded message to cell phones that have been registered by students, faculty
and staff.

Michelle Obama visits the First Coast
Michelle Obama, Democratic Presidential nominee Barack Obama’s wife, visited the
First Coast Oct. 22 to address supporters.

This rally is one of several Obama, Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Joe Biden attended throughout Florida in hopes of turning out early voters.

Air show flies into town
The 2008 NAS Jacksonville Air show is scheduled for Oct. 25-26.

The free show will feature the U.S. Navy Blue Angels, the Super Shockwave Jet Truck and dozens of other military planes.

The gates open at 9 a.m., and the show begins at 10 a.m.

Ghost hunt near courtyard
Osprey Productions will host a ghost hunt at 9 p.m. Oct. 28 in the Stein Auditorium in Building 42 to “find paranormal activities.”

Faculty panel discusses racism
A faculty-led panel will discuss the dynamics of race, class and gender in the 2008 Presidential Election.

The discussion will serve as the inaugural forum for “Deconstructing ‘Race’ in the 21st Century,” a series to promote an ongoing dialogue about the complexities of race and racism in contemporary American society.

The panel will be at 11:30 p.m. Oct. 28 in Building 14.

Student panel tackles global issue: “Food or Fuel”
Dr. Patrick Plumlee, UNF Political Science & Public Administration professor, will moderate a student panel on a current global topic, “Food or Fuel?”

UNF faculty members Dr. Pam Zeiser and Dr. Mary Borg will then discuss the topic, followed by a question and answer session from the audience at 1:15 p.m. Oct. 22  in Building 14, room 1700.

JCM hosts Fall Festival
Jacksonville Campus Ministry’s Food For Thought has been feeding students’ bodies and minds for more than 10 years at UNF.

All are welcome to join the group for its first Fall Festival, which will be at 5 p.m. Oct. 28 in Building 14, room 1601.

The event will include face painting, bobbing for apples, sack races, cakewalk, costume contest, pumpkin carving contest, food, arts and crafts and more.

For more information contact the Interfaith office at extension 2837.

Compiled by James Cannon II and Jonathan Morales.