ATΩ, Waka Flocka Flame partner for benefit concert at Pure Nightclub

Waka Flocka Flame.Photo courtesy Creative Commons

Alpha Tau Omega is teaming up with rapper Waka Flocka Flame for a benefit concert at Pure Nightclub, with all proceeds going to the Sanctuary on 8th Street.

The Sanctuary on 8th Street is an after-school program that has grown into a home-schooling program and a summer camp for low-income students.

“Every last dime gathered from the ticket sales will go directly to the Sanctuary on 8th Street. Ticket sales and everything, because it’s going to charity, we don’t get a cut of it,” ATΩ Philanthropy Chairman Lucas Nicholas said.

Vicky Watkins, the Executive Director of the Sanctuary, said the concert was an excellent chance to raise money for the children.

“Some of these kids do not have the opportunity to do things many of us take for granted,” Watkins said. “The idea that this money could give a child in need the opportunity to possibly learn something like gymnastics, which is not something just anyone can afford, will truly make a difference in these children’s lives.”

The concert was organized in an effort to bring together the student bodies of UNF and Jacksonville University to raise enough money for the children of Jacksonville.

Ticket prices are available online and cost $35 at the door. Students can use the promo code “ATOWAKA” for $5 off of the door ticket price. The concert is Friday Oct. 7, at Pure Nightclub.

“Even though we’re a small school, we can still do big stuff. We can still have a good time; we can still compete with the big schools. We can still make a difference, [and] we just want to be a stepping stool for all Greek life and all of UNF,” Nicholas said.

Nicholas added that around 250 to 300 tickets have been sold so far. Pure’s capacity is around the 1,500, meaning there are plenty of tickets still up for grabs.

“We want to get this out to as much of UNF as we can. We want it to be an all UNF event and he’s [Waka] really looking forward to it being sold out for a great cause and great kids,” Nicholas said.