Ospreys fall short to Lipscomb in second-set rally

The UNF women’s volleyball team lost to Lipscomb University 3-0 (16-25, 25-27, 17-25) Oct. 25 after failing to force a tie in the second set.

Although UNF went down in three sets, the second set featured 10 ties and three lead changes.

“The second set was really good,” UNF head coach Kevin Campbell said. “Marshay [Greenlee] stepped up in the set – not only with her hitting, but also with the energy she brought. Kaley [Read] had a very solid match. Our struggle right now is being able to close out the crucial point after being on the cusp of a win.”

UNF took its first lead of the second set after senior middle blocker Bary Rasmussen set up a kill from junior outside hitter Agata Dawidowicz. The Ospreys put themselves in a position to wrap up the set twice, but two kills from Lipscomb’s Katie Rose put the Ospreys away.

UNF started out the third set leading 4-2, but Lipscomb closed out the match on an 8-3 run.

“I feel like we are getting better as a team,” Campbell said. “We proved we can rally and play well together.”

Sophomore middle-blocker and right side hitter Kaley Read led the Ospreys in the match, tallying 20 kills and 11 digs. It was the seventh double-double for Read and the fifth time this season she has recorded at least 20 kills.

Sophomore defensive specialist Chelsea Rabe notched a match-high 17 digs. Sophomore setter and defensive specialist Madie Belvin and freshman defensive specialist and setter Julie Fye combined for 35 assists.

The Ospreys will host East Tennessee State University at the UNF Arena 7 p.m., Oct. 31.

E-mail John Weidner at [email protected].