Hamilton: Lippit kept us in match

The UNF women’s soccer team played its second scoreless game of the season Oct. 26, tying Lipscomb University 0-0 in double overtime.

After getting off eight shots in the first half of the game, the Ospreys attempted 15 shots in the second half. UNF led Lipscomb in shots on goal 29-11 during the match.

UNF fired a total of six shots in the two overtime periods, but four saves by Lipscomb goalkeeper Katie Shelton, a shot that went wide right and a shot that sailed high kept the Ospreys from scoring the winning goal.

UNF senior goalkeeper Erica Lippit posted her second shutout of the season and made fives saves.

“I think this was Erica’s best game of the season,” UNF head coach Linda Hamilton said. “She came out well on crosses and made some crucial saves. Her play really kept us in the match and I’m extremely proud of her performance.”

The Ospreys were led on offense by senior midfielder Elizabeth Gowan who took eight shots with five on goal. Freshman forward Denisse Soltero and freshman midfielder Vladana Petricevic both took five shots with four and two on goal, respectively.

“I’m really proud of the girls and the way they played today,” Hamilton said. “Sometimes it’s hard to find that back of the net. We just missed the final step of putting the ball in the goal but I felt like we did a great job of setting up our scoring opportunities.”

The Ospreys will close out their season Oct. 30 facing off against Jacksonville University in the SunTrust River City Rumble.

“I think this is a great rivalry, and it seems to always be a tight match,” Hamilton said. “We obviously want to close out the season on a high note, but there are also a year’s worth of bragging rights on the line.”

E-mail John Weidner at [email protected].