No more waiting: UNF Counseling Center bringing on more counselors

Pierce Turner

Student’s wait time is expected to decrease at the Counseling Center. Photo by Pierce Turner

Wait times for new and returning student patients at the Counseling Center are set to decrease after the center received a budget increase from student fees. The funding allows three pre-doctoral interns to be hired as new counselors.

The center, which sees around 7,000 to 8,000 students a year has 11 people currently staffed including full-time and part-time counselors.

“The increased amount of money has allowed us in a very general way to increase the number of counselors,” Counseling Center Director Andrew King said.

Dr. Andrew King. Photo by Audrey Carpenter

King said that during the summer, students can usually make appointments weekly. However, wait times can be up to three weeks long during the fall and spring semesters when the demand for counseling is higher.

“If someone [in the summer] calls, they’re going to get an appointment within the week,” King said. “My goal is even [in the fall and spring] during peak demand [wait times] won’t get past two weeks.”

King plans to use the money to begin a doctoral internship program and hire three new pre-doctoral interns as counselors by Fall 2018. In the meantime, King is hiring local mental health providers as temporary counselors.

King expects the addition of three new counselors to ease the wait time for new and returning student patients all year round.

“Either way there’s an increased availability of providers to students,” said King.

If you or someone you know are in need of counseling, visit the Counseling Center on the second floor of Building 2 or call 904-620-2602.