Don’t be bored: keeping intersession exciting

Tierney Harvey

Summer classes are over and it’s time to enjoy the intersession break. While activities on campus have slowed down, there’s plenty to explore in the city beyond UNF. In a city as large as Jacksonville, even locals can always find something new to experience.

Here are just a few suggestions of ways to pass the time until fall semester starts.

The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens

The museum features an outdoor sculpture garden. Photo by Tierney Harvey.

According to the website, pieces in the collection span from 2100 B.C. through the 21st century. In addition to the art, museum visitors can enjoy a garden overlooking the river. There’s a discount for college students and at certain times, admission is free. Check the website for details.

Karpeles Manuscript Library Museum

Part of a nationwide network of museums across the country, the Karpeles Library holds the largest private collection of historical manuscripts, according to its website. The Jacksonville museum is housed in a neoclassical building from the 1920s, and admission is always free.

Hanna Park

Going to the beach is the essential summertime activity. At Hanna Park, you can enjoy the ocean without hitting the crowds of Jacksonville Beach. The park has over a mile of beach access and miles of trails for hiking or bike rides.

Sun Ray Cinema

The theater is located amid the shops and restaurants in Five Points. Photo by Tierney Harvey.

With just two screens, this theater has a smaller selection of movies than most, but it often offers movies you won’t see at other theaters in town. This Saturday, moviegoers can catch Night of the Hunter, a film noir from 1955. They serve beer and wine, along with vegan food options and there’s even a topping bar for the popcorn.

MOCA

The Museum of Contemporary Art specializes in modern and contemporary pieces. Admission is totally free for UNF students; all you need is your ID. The museum is located downtown, so take a day to check out other downtown spots, like Hemming Park and Chamblin’s Uptown bookstore, on the way.

Riverside Arts Market

This weekly market is held under the Fuller Warren Bridge. Every Saturday, vendors sell fresh produce, art, jewelry and other goods. There are also food trucks and live music. It’s a great way to check out the Riverside culture, get outside and get some shopping done.

Local Breweries

Most breweries offer drinks to-go in growlers like these from downtown’s Intuition Ale Works. Photo by Tierney Harvey.

With all of the new additions to the craft beer scene in recent years, Jacksonville now has a brewery to check out on any side of town. There’s Southern Swells in Jacksonville Beach, Hyperion Brewing Company in Springfield and Intuition Ale Works is downtown, and that’s only naming a few. Any of them are worth checking out, and if you visit enough, you can get a free drink koozie or T-shirt from the Visitor Center. Check out more information from Visit Jacksonville.

St. Johns Town Center

Located practically next door to campus, the town center has tons of options for shopping and dining. Find any last minute back-to-school items and try one of the new restaurants open so far as part of the 2017 expansion.

__