Season coasts to end with win

The UNF men’s soccer team closed its season on a high note Nov. 8, beating Coastal Carolina University 3-0 at Hodges Stadium.

The win gives the Ospreys (9-10-0) their highest win total since the beginning of the transition into Division I.

“We have certainly improved each season,” UNF head coach Ray Bunch said. “And that is what we aim for each season. We would have liked to get out win total in double digits, but we like the progress we’ve made and will look to continue that trend next season.”

Senior defender and midfielder Mikhail Awai began the scoring midway through the second half when he took an unexpected free kick while the Chanticleers (8-8-1) were setting up their defense.

“It was a very clever play,” Bunch said. “We have seen so often this season that the team that scores the first goal really takes all the momentum. That is what happened with us today.”

The second goal came when sophomore forward Akil DeFreitas made a cross across the box to sophomore forward Adam O’Neill, who put the ball in the net from one yard out.

O’ Neill put the game out of reach when he passed the ball by Coastal Carolina goalkeeper Phillip Latham on a breakaway.

In addition to this being the last game of the season, it was senior day. At halftime, the seniors were honored in a ceremony. Seniors Tony Restino, Cord McCoy, Akil Burgen and Awai played all 90 minutes. Senior Oscar Ortiz played 77 minutes.

“It was a great way to end these guys’ careers, but it is sad to see them go,” Bunch said. “They have set the tone for the underclassmen, and their leadership will be missed. Now, it will be up to next year’s squad to uphold the level of play our seniors have estalished.”

E-mail Vincent Pesce at [email protected].