Kicker: Beer of the Month

With all the hullabaloo over the fastidiousness of craft beers these days, these unfamiliar and sometimes downright bitter beers might turn off the inexperienced beer-drinker looking to try something new. Some just like it simple and smooth, I get it. So, inexperienced or novice beer drinker, I’d like to introduce you to a sophisticated, classic, straightforward brew that you’re bound to appreciate.

Hacker-Pschorr Brewery’s Oktoberfest is a time-honored beer from Munich, Germany–the brewery itself traces its ancestry back to 1417. The traditional brewing process for Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest has been unchanged for over 580 years, which tells you they must be doing something right.

As with most German/Bavarian beer, Oktoberfest’s ingredients are all-natural, in accordance with the German Beer Purity Law. It holds that only these ingredients can be used in the production of beer: water, barley, hops, malt and yeast—though modifications to this law have been made.

Brewed with pure spring water — Germany takes pride in its water’s quality — Hacker-Pschorr’s centuries-old, exclusive yeast strain, Hallertauf hops, and medium-bodied brewing malt from Bavarian summer barley makes Oktoberfest a delightful brew that demands quality and strict preparation.

Its appearance is a classic Bavarian Marzen style: clear, with a rich amber color. It yields a full-bodied, flavorful taste with a rich, creamy head. At 5.8 percent alcohol by volume it will also kick in a buzz right quick.

I urge you to try this beer because … well, before you can walk you’ve got to learn to crawl, right?

You’re likely to find this beer in six-packs for around $9, although, I recommend getting it on tap in a tall, slender glass. European Street always has it, as does any respectable beer-minded establishment. Cheers!