A voice for the voiceless: Student government holds a town hall meeting on alcohol

Johnakeshia Thompson

Courtesy of Student Government.

On Sept. 27, the UNF Student Government held a town hall meeting about the school’s new alcohol policy on the Green from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

SG collected surveys and informed students about the new alcohol policies. The town hall meeting was held because many students are in opposition to the new policy.

Student Government weighed in on their opinion about the policy and explained that many students are not excited about the new policy.

According to the SG Vice President Maria Bermudez, at least 89 percent of students oppose the new policy.

“Students are reacting this way because they feel like they weren’t being heard,” Student Body President Jenna Dupilka said.

Student government was set up on the edge of the Green to hear from students. Photo by Johnakeshia Thompson

Dupilka also said that the surveys collected from students will be brought to the Board of Trustees at their next scheduled meeting. The board is currently waiting for Dupilka present the information collected at the town hall event, so that they may hear how the students feel as a result of the new policies.

However, it’s ultimately up to President David Szymanski on whether or not they will change the new alcohol policies.

Tyler Prom, a junior transfer from UCF, explained his viewpoint on the new policy. He said that coming from UCF, he notices how the policies would always change. He also told Spinnaker that, in that coming here, he could tell that this was once a “what” campus and, now that the new alcohol policy has been implemented, it’s causing students to hang out other places.

His biggest concerns, of course, were with tailgating, as he feels like the new policy will stop students from tailgating and coming to games.

“People look forward to tailgating and going to the games,” Prom said.

Dupilka also explained concerns about student organizations. Specifically, there are reportedly concerns about not being able to sell alcohol, despite the fact the athletic department is still able to sell alcohol through the same third-party vendor. She said that it’s disrespectful to student organizations and students as a whole.

“We are all adults and we should be treated as such,” Dupilka said.

Dupilka will present the collected information to the Board of Trustees at their next meeting on Oct. 11.

1 Comment

One Response to “A voice for the voiceless: Student government holds a town hall meeting on alcohol”

1. Ani on September 29th, 2018 8:21 am

…This is a very poorly written article in terms of grammer, etc. Was it not edited before it was published?

• A voice for the voiceless: Student government holds a town hall meeting on alcohol

PAWS Your Stress gives students a pause during Finals Week

Interfaith Center hosts “non-religious at the holidays” discussion

Finals week at Tommy G’s: UNF Library events for finals week

AIDS memorial quilt on display at UNF

Movie screening of “Elf” kicks off holiday season

Live tweets from Black Friday: in case you missed it

The perfect fall escape: The Jacksonville Fair is only here for a few more days

Harry Potter and the Sacred Text: Applying sacred reading to the wizarding world

Interfaith week brings faith-centric events to UNF campus

Photo Gallery: Democratic Rally