UNF community has much to be thankful for

Excitement is circulating across the country with the recent election of a new president, but as the days in November continue to unfold, Americans need to stop and take a minute to recognize what makes the nation so great.

Thanksgiving is Nov. 27, and the United States has come a long way since the Pilgrims celebrated the first Thanksgiving in 1621.

Even though the nation is in a time of uncertainty – with the rollercoaster economy and war in Iraq – the American people still have plenty to be grateful for.

America is better off than most nations around the world.

In Sudan, families are kidnapped, robbed and kept hostage for no reason other than hatred. And it has been going on for more than 20 years.

Women across the world are still being treated unequally and unjustly and are facing uphill struggles to simply make it through another day.

While America has its problems, Americans still live in the world’s strongest nation, and the UNF community shouldn’t take it for granted.

The simple fact students can freely express themselves through outlets such as the Spinnaker – and have a right to do so – is cause for celebration in itself.

So as we enjoy turkey, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce with our families next week, we need to remember the troops fighting overseas for our freedoms.

We must remember the struggles our Founding Fathers went through to make this Thanksgiving possible.

Americans must be grateful because many families across the world are not so fortunate.