President Szymanski releases the results of a crisis management investigation

Lianna Norman, News Editor

President David Szymanski promised a review of UNF’s crisis management office after the incident in the Arena Garage last month, and he delivered.

In an Osprey Update Friday morning, Szymanski announced that the results of the review completed by an emergency management consultant have yielded recommendations on how to avoid a slow response to real and potential threats.

“The University plans to implement the consultant’s recommendations,” the update said. “Safety is a top priority at UNF and we’re committed to ensuring the continued well-being of our students, faculty, staff and campus visitors.”

The report suggested that the Communications Center is understaffed and sees turnover rates that are too high. The proposed remedy is to increase the salary of the office and to keep at least two Police Communications Officers in the office at all times.

The report also suggested a renewal of communication systems and the policy through which they are used and “active shooter” training for all faculty and staff.

“Take advantage of lessons learned during this incident, which was without serious consequences, to develop systems and procedures to mitigate issues that occurred in this instance,” the report said.