Eating with the Ogier Gardens

Kristina Smith

Students interested in free food and a colorful potluck should watch the calendar. Once a month the Ogier Gardens hosts a potluck where workers try their hand (including any green thumbs) at cooking.

At each potluck, students and members of the community are invited to the gardens to sample dishes with student-grown fruits and vegetables (including their prized shiitake mushrooms). One student, Kelly Smith, is always happy to saute her vegetables against the blooming setting.

“Usually we make food, everyone eats and then we have some dancing,” Smith said. “It’s all about being together and enjoying the space of the garden.”

While it could be vegetable tortillas for dinner one evening, it could be salad or soup the next.

At this time of year, the gardens are ripening with kale, lettuce, carrots, mint, mushrooms and more. There’s also a forecast of fruit salads, as the gardens are maturing with blueberries, peaches, and kumquats.

Anyone that wants to come can bring a dish, utensils or just a hungry stomach. Most of the dishes are vegan and vegetarian-friendly.

Anyone interested in visiting Ogier Gardens for a tour, to volunteer, or to attend other events, can visit their Facebook page.

__