Tik Tok recruits college students to promote their brand

Victoria Reed

Tik Tok is working to increase its appeal by recruiting college students as brand ambassadors to build popularity on college campuses.

The mobile app allows users to create and upload short videos and share them with followers. Tik Tok is sometimes referred to as a “lip syncing” app. The app’s format makes it popular among young people.

“I only see cringe worthy videos online, so I associate it with being weird and goofy,” said Kayle Younge, a student at UNF.

The job posting via Glassdoor says that college students can benefit from being a brand ambassador by building a resume, learning transferable skills – such as marketing, talent scouting and management experience – competitive compensations and exclusive branding merchandise.

The company is looking for active students with high energy to help promote its app. Tik Tok has reached out to several U.S college campuses including University of South Florida and Florida Atlantic University. The mobile app uses branding booths that help promote their app to college students. A Tik Tok branding booth has appeared at the University of North Florida.

Tik Tok is a owned by ByteDance, a Chinese technology company. The company is looking to attract more users from the U.S.

In the U.S., Tik Tok installs totalled more than 96 million in February, according to the mobile market intelligence firm Sensor Tower.

Facebook used this approach in 2016, when the company recruited college students to become brand ambassadors to help build its popularity.

According to Sensor Tower, Tik Tok just completed its best first quarter, by passing Facebook, with 188 million new users downloads between Jan 1 and March 31.

__