July Police Beat

March 31, 2011 – Burglary (Building 58 E, Room 3305) – A camera was missing from Student Government when a student attempted to check it out. The camera was kept in an unlocked cabinet. The incident was not reported to campus police until June 22. No known suspects.June 4, 2011 – Burglary (Osprey Fountains) – A $205.00 UNF parking permit was stolen from a 1995 Jeep after its owner left the top down and the doors unlocked. The incident wasn’t reported until June 14. There are no known suspects.

June 23, 2011 – Rogue Grape (Building 58 W) – A UNF visitor was walking outside room 3806 of Student Union West when she stepped on a grape, fell to the ground, then called campus police. She did not complain of injuries but was concerned of possible back pain later. An officer canvassed the area but did not find any hazards. Rescue was not requested.

July 3, 2011 – Intoxicated Minor (Osprey Fountains) – An intoxicated UNF student was being watched by witnesses when an officer pulled up. The student had a small white trash can in front of her with reddish vomit inside. An initial breathalyzer test rendered a .072 reading, a second, .073. The student agreed to an over-the-phone assessment from Gateway Community Services Center, a detox center, but refused to go there for a five-day treatment. Fire rescue responded to the scene and found the student did not need further treatment. Student refused hospital transport and was allowed to stay in her room under the observation of two witnesses.

July 5, 2011 – Lazy River Theft (Osprey Fountains) – A UNF student’s keys and flip flops were stolen from tables near the lazy river between 5:30 p.m. and 6:10 p.m. There were no witnesses, but the victim saw three potential suspects sitting at his table but was unable to give physical descriptions. The case was not cleared, and patrol efforts were suspended.

July 5, 2011 – Suspicious Persons (Osprey Fountains) – During a scheduled fire drill at 7:00 p.m., a student was returning to her room when three subjects, two males and one female, followed her. They presented themselves as resident assistants. She entered her room and locked the door. When she answered a knock on the door, one of the males entered her room and began asking about her personal information. He then exited the room, telling the victim to tell her roommates to contact the resident assistant while chuckling. A second witness saw the three subjects leaving the area. At approximately 7:15 p.m., the complainant saw them near Building 58, heading towards the parking lot. She did not see their direction of travel. When the student returned to her room she saw the female walking down the hall at 7:50 p.m. but did not see her final destination. The student reported the incident to the resident assistant at 8:00 p.m. A UPD officer responding advised the student not to approach the three subjects but to contact either the resident assistant or UPD if they are seen in the future.

July 11, 2011 – Criminal Mischief (Bldg. 44) – A victim attended new student orientation between 9 a.m. and 12:50 p.m. She returned to find her 2008 black Lexus keyed from the front driver side to rear left quarter panel. There are no known suspects.

July 11, 2011 – Grand Theft (Lot 16) – UPD received a report of a stolen white Diamond enclosed trailer with a blue UNF logo at 7:15 a.m. The trailer has an estimated worth of $20,000, with an unknown amount of tools inside. An employee noticed the trailer missing at 9:22 a.m. July 11. He had last seen the trailer in Lot 16 July 8 at 1:15 p.m. There are four people with knowledge of the combination lock securing the trailer, but there are no known suspects yet.