The News Around

AROUND THE STATE

FPL to open new solar plant, puts state No. 2 in nation

Florida Power and Light conducted opening ceremonies Dec. 2 for its new $476 million solar plant in Indiantown.

When completed – along with two other proposed solar facilities – it will move Florida into the No. 2 spot nationally for the most energy obtained directly from the sun.

The facility will generate steam to power near by turbines with the help of 180,000 mirrors.

FPL said the new plant will produce enough electricity to power 11,000 homes in Florida. It’s expected to be completed in 2010.

AROUND THE NATION

Detroit automakers seek second bailout in two months

The Ford Motor Company told Congress Dec. 2 it needed a $9 billion capital infusion to stay afloat amidst the tumultuous economic situation.

The 33-page plan Ford delivered said within three years of receiving the bailout the corporation would again be sound.

According to Ford, it was healthier than the other two Detroit automakers but warned its fortunes were closely tied to its two rivals, General Motors and Chrysler, both of which said they could soon run out of money.

The three Detroit automakers are scheduled to appear before Congress later this week to apply for $25 billion in government loans, the second in two months.

AROUND THE WORLD

‘Chemical Ali’ given second death sentence for killings

Saddam Hussein’s cousin was sentenced to death by an Iraqi court for the killing of thousands of Shi’ites after the 1991 Gulf War.

This is the second death sentence to be handed down against Ali Hassan al-Majeed, who earned his nickname for his role in using poisonous gas against Kurdish villages.

“The court has decided to execute by hanging the convicted Ali Hassan al-Majeed for committing … willful killings and crimes against humanity,” Judge Mohammad al-Uraibi said.

Several other top Iraqi leaders were also sentenced to jail time after being convicted of crimes against humanity.

Compiled by James Cannon II.