Study abroad programs in your college

Emily Barrett

The University of North Florida highly encourages study abroad programs for students as they bring more cultural awareness and great learning opportunities for students. At UNF, each college offers a study abroad program which is either faculty-led or obtained through the International Center. Here is a guide of what each college offers Ospreys when it comes to studying in different parts of the world:

Coggin College of Business

The Coggin College of Business has an array of study abroad programs available for students varying from faculty-led programs, summer programs, semester programs, as well as internship exchange programs in places varying from Australia to China. The faculty-led trips will be able to study a particular business discipline and country throughout the spring semester. Students are able to travel with their professors and class to spend eight to ten days abroad during spring break or the month of May. This also allows travel arrangements to be made for you such as where you will be staying, and the itinerary of what you will be doing, which is quite convenient. You can even earn three UNF credits while you’re abroad. For more information, you can check out the Coggin study abroad website or visit them in the Honors Hall (building 10) suite 2125. 

The College of Education and Human Services

The College of Education and Human Services offers faculty-led study abroad programs as well. They have multiple trips ready for this upcoming summer, some are in Summer A, Summer B, or both. Preference is given to students in the majors the trips are tailored toward, especially because the courses are often for undergrad/grad practicum credit. The ones they are offering are: 

Plymouth and Chester, England: Sport Management and Education, led by Dr. Liz Gregg & Dr. Madalina Tanase.

This 3-credit course provides students with a unique opportunity to learn how to adapt to an academic setting different from their own so they can stand out from the rest of the crowd.

The next info session for this trip is Jan. 15 at 5 p.m. in building 57, room 1210.

Corciano, Perugia, Rome, Italy: “Whole Child” Education (Early Childhood Education), led by Dr. Katrina Hall and Dr. Liz Rozas.

The events include guided trips to Montessori in Perugia; Reggio Emilia, Assisi; local universities and schools; cooking lessons; Italian language lessons and more. This is an immersive and transformational cultural learning opportunity.

Korea: Sport Management, led by Dr. Wanyong Choi

Visits to colleges, sports organizations, and attractions.

Brisbane, Australia: Deaf Education, led by Dr. Caroline Guardino

This is a once-in-a-lifetime visit to the International Congress on the Education of the Deaf. The program is undergoing University approval, though, so hopefully it will be happening. 

Brooks College of Health 

The Brooks College of Health provides a few study abroad opportunities for its students that typically are available to all UNF students, but some faculty may give their program priority to students within the college. Trips taking place in the summer of 2020 include visits to Beijing and Qingdao. According to the Brooks College of Health website, the “China Experience” looks at the administration of health employment in Beijing and Qingdao, China. They will focus their attention on economic, social, and political factors that are relevant to planning health services and delivering health care. The group will tour hospitals and health institutions, as well as meet with local health practitioners while exploring the culture and history of China. The college is even taking students to Japan in the summer of 2020 for the first time, and there is already a waitlist. 

Hicks Honors College

Hicks Honors College offers multiple arrays of opportunities to study abroad which are highly encouraged by the advisors as they see it as apart of the five areas of development for honors students. Not only do they offer Hicks Abroad experiences, but they also offer travel grants that can be applied to any study abroad experience, within or outside of the Hicks Honors College. If you are an honors student and are interested in study abroad opportunities, contact your advisor and they should have more information geared towards your path. 

College of Arts and Sciences – Communications department

The school of communication does a faculty-led study abroad trip every summer where they rotate from Paris, France to London, England. This summer they are going to Paris for summer A. If you are interested or have any questions, you can contact Professor Dee Colvin at [email protected].

College of Computing, Engineering and Construction

The College of Computing, Engineering and Construction does a short-term international experience from 10 days to three weeks in Spain, France, Italy or China. If you would like more information, check out the website or contact your advisor for more information related to your major.

The University of North Florida highly recommends that students take up the chance to study abroad because students who tend to make the most out of their college experience and come out with a new appreciation of the world. 

__

• Rabbi Novack holds a schmura matza during an interview with Spinnaker. This particular matza, he said, was made in Ukraine.

UNF Chabad and Jewish Ospreys gear up for Passover celebrations at UNF

• UNF astrophysics professor Marina Kounkel (Photo courtesy of Marina Kounkel)

Education

NASA awards UNF astrophysics professor Marina Kounkel $500,000 grant

• Tom and Betty Petway Hall  Photo courtesy of UNF Digital Commons

Get into it with a roommate? Here’s what could happen

• Spinnaker Editor-in-Chief Carter Mudgett (left) interviews President Moez Limayem (right) after his first month on the job.

Behind the strategy to ensure UNF’s future

• Vendors displayed and sold their art at the queer arts market.

UNF Student Union hosts first queer arts market event

• UNF ASL graphic

Education

UNF’s ASL/English Interpreting program ranked sixth in the nation

• Career fairs can help UNF students and alumni prepare to enter the workforce and establish valuable connections with employers. (Photo courtesy of Career Services)

UNF’s career fairs are a ‘no-brainer opportunity’

• Several companies set up booths run by female representatives. (Photo courtesy of PS27)

UNF and PS27 host Female Founders Forum for aspiring female entrepreneurs

• The Green, located at the center of UNFs campus, is a popular spot for students trying to relax between classes. A smaller school than UF or FSU, many students can find quiet spots across campus to study, read and hang out.

Some UNF students having trouble with academic advisors

• Patrick Mahomes keeps his super bowl MVP mentality as he had another strong performance in the first game of the season. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

Watch party on a budget: The sports editor’s guide to Super Bowl Sunday