What universities will look like in the fall: Link to BOG meeting LIVE!

Siddie Friar, Intern Reporter

The Florida Board of Governors is set to meet today in Tallahassee. The hot topic to be discussed at this meeting, which can be seen live The Florida Channel: Home? What will the reopening of universities in Florida look like.

Officials with the board are expected to discuss options for the upcoming fall semester. Some variations include the possibility of a mix of online and in-person classes, continuing all courses remotely, or having only small classes, under 50 people, meet in person.

The universities are not expected to present their plans for fall until next month. However, it seems that all campuses are exploring different options. A popular article posted by Inside Higher Ed laid out 15 possible reopening scenarios for campuses in the fall. Niche, a website that reviews colleges for prospective students, took this a step further and surveyed students on what outcome they most desired. 

The results indicated that three scenarios were the most desired for students. According to   Inside Higher Ed, “holding in-person classes like before, offering classes so that some were in person and others online, and having three- to four-week block schedules (in person) — appealed to a majority of undergraduates. One-third of students said they would transfer to another institution if their college only had online options.”

The meeting today will include discussion on strategic planning, budget and finance, and of course, a blueprint for reopening. In this blueprint, The Board of Governors indicate it is critical “that every university plan prioritizes the health and well- being of all students, faculty, staff, vendors, volunteers, and visitors, particularly as all institutions continue to battle the COVID-19 pandemic. University plans should anticipate the agility necessary to respond to changed conditions and enhance the resiliency of each institution. Equally important to the Board is that the 12 universities remain focused and unwavering in the delivery of high-quality academic programs and services. A commitment to these priorities will enable our universities to continue to meet the Board’s academic performance and student success goals.” 

__

• Kaila Rougier dribbles the ball

Women’s basketball takes down Bethune-Cookman, secures first away win

• Jose Placer shoots a three-pointer

Men’s basketball falls to High Point in high-scoring affair

• FILE - Rapper Kanye West speaks during a meeting in the Oval Office of the White House with President Donald Trump, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2018, in Washington. Kanye West was escorted out of the California headquarters of athletic shoemaker Skechers Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2022 after he showed up unannounced. Skechers says West, also known as Ye, also engaged in unauthorized filming at its corporate headquarters in Manhattan Beach and was escorted out by two executives. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

OPINION: Does canceling really work?

• (freestocks/Unsplash)

It’s officially cuffing season, celebrate the holiday season with some date ideas!

• DeSantis

The future of DeSantis’s “Stop Woke Act” in Florida after federal judge ruling

• Blessing Offor performing at the Saint Augustine Amphitheatre in Saint Augustine, Florida on November 2nd, 2022.

Through the eyes of a photographer: November

• Harry talks to the town mayor, {Courtesy of SyFy)

Review: ‘Resident Alien,’ the best science fiction comedy TV show

• Chaz Lanier drives to the rim

Men’s basketball thrashes Trinity Baptist with all-hands-on-deck performance

• Emma Broermann goes to the rim

Women’s basketball falls short, suffers tough loss to Saint Joseph’s

• Tim Weah celebrates following opening goal of USMNTs World Cup experience

Student Government hosting World Cup watch party on campus