President Szymanski addresses Pride month

Darvin Nelson, Features Editor

President Szymanski issued an email to students regarding Pride Month:

“Dear Osprey Community,

June is Pride Month and is an opportunity to honor and celebrate the positive impact that people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning have made throughout history. It is a time for us to come together with our LGBTQ communities to honor their fight for freedom to be themselves.

At UNF, this is an important opportunity to celebrate the Pride events taking place this month and to recognize the impact LGBTQ people have made not only on our University campus, but also locally, regionally and globally. The LGBTQ movement started more than 50 years ago with the Stonewall uprising in June 1969 in New York City. This event helped spur the modern gay rights movement and the fight for equality still continues today.

We are proud that UNF is consistently ranked among the top choices for LGBTQ students and has been named a Best and Most Affordable LGBTQ-Friendly Online College. UNF has wonderful resources in its LGBT Resource Center and staff that are committed to advocacy, equality, community and support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/questioning and allied students, faculty and staff.

UNF continues to be committed to leading the way in shaping a safe and welcoming campus environment for our students, faculty and staff who identify as LGBTQ.

I encourage all of our Osprey Community to please visit www.unf.edu/lgbtrc/ for more information on Pride Month events and how to join in on these celebrations.”

-David M. Szymanski

___

• FILE - Rapper Kanye West speaks during a meeting in the Oval Office of the White House with President Donald Trump, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2018, in Washington. Kanye West was escorted out of the California headquarters of athletic shoemaker Skechers Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2022 after he showed up unannounced. Skechers says West, also known as Ye, also engaged in unauthorized filming at its corporate headquarters in Manhattan Beach and was escorted out by two executives. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

OPINION: Does canceling really work?

• (freestocks/Unsplash)

It’s officially cuffing season, celebrate the holiday season with some date ideas!

• DeSantis

The future of DeSantis’s “Stop Woke Act” in Florida after federal judge ruling

• Blessing Offor performing at the Saint Augustine Amphitheatre in Saint Augustine, Florida on November 2nd, 2022.

Through the eyes of a photographer: November

• Harry talks to the town mayor, {Courtesy of SyFy)

Review: ‘Resident Alien,’ the best science fiction comedy TV show

• Chaz Lanier drives to the rim

Men’s basketball thrashes Trinity Baptist with all-hands-on-deck performance

• Emma Broermann goes to the rim

Women’s basketball falls short, suffers tough loss to Saint Joseph’s

• Tim Weah celebrates following opening goal of USMNTs World Cup experience

Student Government hosting World Cup watch party on campus

• Syril Karn (left, Kyle Soller) and Cassian Andor (right, Diego Luna) in Andor. (Courtesy of Lucasfilm)

Review: Booting the flashy heroes, ‘Andor’ turns the spotlight on ordinary people

• Photo courtesy of University of North Florida.

UNF rolls out plans for a dedicated graduate commencement ceremony, administrator says