Jacksonville residents conflicted about hosting RNC, poll shows

President Trump will accept his nomination in Jacksonville in August. (Graphic courtesy of WOKV)

Kaitlyn Bowers, Video Director

A recent poll shows that Jacksonville residents are conflicted about the Republican National Convention being held in the city. 

The poll, conducted by the Public Opinion Research Lab at the University of North Florida, shows that 58% of respondents strongly or somewhat oppose the convention being held in the city. This includes Aaron Adkins, a recent UNF graduate. 

“Right now I’m worried that it will bring a lot of people from out of state who will inevitably refuse to wear masks, which will only further contribute to this second wave,” said Adkins. “I’m also a bit concerned about the potential of protests starting in and around downtown and getting out of hand as tensions rise over the RNC being held here.” 

Adkins isn’t alone in these views. According to the poll, 71% of respondents are very or somewhat concerned about COVID transmission due to the large gathering the RNC will likely be. Comparably, 61% of respondents are very or somewhat concerned about the possibility of protests in Jacksonville due to the convention. 

However, 66% of respondents agree that the RNC could have a positive economic impact, possibly generating up to 100 million dollars. In terms of the media, 56% of respondents believe that the RNC won’t bring positive attention to Jacksonville. 

“I don’t think Jacksonville will get negative attention just from hosting the event, but I think it’ll depend how Lenny Curry deals with all of it,” said Adkins. “At this point, I assume he is not going to put many, if any, guidelines in place regarding the use of masks in Jacksonville. Ultimately, I think news outlets will find ways to spin either outcome to sound positive or negative on both ends.” 

The poll also asked respondents questions about the upcoming election as well as the pandemic in general. Details on the poll can be found here.

___

• Photo by Martin Sanchez via Unsplash.

UNF reports 178 cases last week

• The cast of Hamlet receives applause from the audience after their performance at MOCA Jacksonville.

A closer look at UNF Shakespeare’s Hamlet

• Meet the Candidates. Graphic by Carter Mudgett.

Meet the candidates: Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer interviews to begin

• Shot of an Osprey sports uniform sleeve.

Shorthanded Ospreys squad gives Florida State everything they can handle

• Lufrano Gallery installation created by Camryn Media. Photo by Carter Mudgett.

The Lufrano Intercultural Gallery’s new exhibit opens for students and faculty to view

• Of 336 votes, 60% of the respondents say UNF should keep classes in-person.

UNF students grapple with whether to return in-person

• Interim President Chally rejects student fees proposal, current student fees remain same

Interim President Chally rejects student fees proposal, current student fees remain same

• Courtesy of ABC

The Bachelor: Episodes 1 and 2 Recap

• Victoria Shore, Headshot courtesy of Student Government

Advisor Shore retires after 11 years at UNF

• Photo by Justin Nedrow

Strong second quarter propels Ospreys WBB past Kennesaw State

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

Your email address will not be published.