Roller-skating gains popularity during coronavirus pandemic

Haneifah Ahmad, Reporter

While staying home, we have no choice but to be on our phones and see what’s trending. A new trend on the app TikTok has resurrected this old trend – roller skating.

Roller skating has always been a pastime since the 30s and was even revived once before in the 70s. Recently, this trend resurfaced after multiple influencers shared videos of them skating to upbeat music. One of those influencers is actress Ana Coto, who has been skating for three years. 

Source: Instagram/@anacoto

Ana Coto started her account in early February and now has over 1 million followers, 10 million views, and over 34 million likes. Although Coto considers herself a newbie when it comes to skating, her videos say otherwise. 

Coto is considered the roller-skating queen of TikTok, as she has people rushing to the stores and buying their own pair of skates. 

Roller skates have reached the peak of its popularity right at the peak of the pandemic, with Google Trends showing an increase of  interest in roller skates. Many companies are trying to keep the popular footwear in stock. 

“Due to the pandemic, our sales in roller skates have increased,” a DICKS’S Sporting Goods associate told Spinnaker. “We have been getting a lot of units of rollerskates quite frequently and they haven’t been staying in stock for too long. We sell around 20 units of rollerskates per day. They have just been flying off the shelves.” 

Watching people skate on social media has become quite popular and this trend continues to grow. People are starting to adapt to the times and utilizing more ways to be active while social distancing.

___

• Syril Karn (left, Kyle Soller) and Cassian Andor (right, Diego Luna) in Andor. (Courtesy of Lucasfilm)

Review: Booting the flashy heroes, ‘Andor’ turns the spotlight on ordinary people

• UNFs Counseling Center: Whats new?

UNF’s Counseling Center: What’s new?

• (Priscilla Du Preez/Unsplash)

Thanksgiving: The importance of gratitude

• Miranda Padilla holds her 11-month-old son Grayson Sanchez while marking her ballot at a polling center in the South Valley area of Albuquerque, N.M., Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2022 (AP Photo/Andres Leighton)

Midterms 2022: How young voters did this time around

• FILE - The Twitter splash page is seen on a digital device, Monday, April 25, 2022, in San Diego. On Thursday, Nov. 17, 2022, Twitter continued to bleed engineers and other workers after new owner Elon Musk gave them a choice to pledge to “hardcore” work or resign with severance pay. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull, File)

“Only time will tell”: The future of Twitter under Elon Musk

• Leftwich at her graduation, receiving her Doctorate in Clinical Nutrition, photo courtesy of Jamisha Leftwich

Professors before they were professors: Jamisha Leftwich

• Entrance to Neckles’ Bless This House gallery at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Jacksonville.

MOCA artist Shervone Neckles shares the creative process behind her thought-provoking artwork

• Joe Palmer and his book “A Mariner’s Tale” (Graphic by Spinnaker)

“Follow your dreams, don’t stop”: Spinnaker alum lands movie deal

• Limayem smiling, wearing a blue suit

‘A meaningful milestone’: Limayem marks 100 days as UNF’s seventh president

• Jar of Flies album art by Alice in Chains

Jar of Flies by Alice in Chains, an album review