Commentary: Inside the Huddle – Jan. 14, 2009

Josh Salman
Managing Editor
James Cannon II
Assistant News Editor
Rebecca McKinnon
Staff Writer
Heather Furey
Assistant Sports Editor
Question 1: Former NBA Basketball star Charles Barkley failed a sobriety test Dec. 31. Will this spot on his record affect his image as he plans to run for governor of Alabama in 2014?
Getting drunk and driving around town is a common occurance in Alabama. I think it would hurt his campaign if he wasn’t getting trashed behind the wheel. Affect negatively? Pfft. The last three presidents have admitted to dobling with illegal substances, the last two of which said they’ve tried cocaine. If anything, it will help him. I guess Sir Charles fell off his noble steed and cracked his crown. People who are stupid enough to drink and drive should be made to ride a bike for the rest of their lives.
Question 2: Australian Andy Murray defeated Andy Roddick and Roger Federer for the ATP title in addition to
defeating Rafael Nadal in an exhibition in Abu Dhabi. Is Murray on his way to becoming the new Roger Federer?
No way. As Allen Iverson would say, it’s only exhibition. Exhibition. We’re talking about exhibition man. Tennis is cool… but table-top tennis is far superior. And beyond that,
drinking games on table-top tennis tables are where it’s at. Why isn’t that on ESPN?
Who cares about Roger when there’s a battle going on for
ownership of a first name (Andy)?
Federer, Nadal and Roddick are the top players in tennis and if Murray defeated them, all it’s definitely not a fluke. It is possible that we might see a new Federer in town.
Question 3: Because the Florida Gators won the BCS National Championship, they are considered the No. 1 team in college football. What team is really most deserving of the No. 1 spot?
As unfortunate as it is … the
Gators deserve to be champs. While USC, Texas and Utah all have a right to be upset, Florida would crush any of them. This is why a 16-team playoff is needed.
NCAA Football is the only college sport without a playoff system. As it stands now, it’s overtly biased and arbitrary. The Gators deserve the No. 1 spot; they won it fair and square. You don’t just go through an entire season working hard for the win, win it, and then say, “Oh, someone else deserved it.” Utah was undefeated this season and it seemed more deserving, only because it was good enough to have a flawless season. It was unfortunate it didnt make it to the Championship.
Question 4: Jim Caldwell, the new head coach for the Indianapolis Colts, wants to build on Tony Dungy’s success in the upcoming years. Will it be easy for Caldwell to fill Dungy’s shoes?
This guy is walking into the best job in all of sports. I could coach a team with Manning, Sanders, Saturday and Harrison to a 11-5 record, and I don’t even know what an audible is. Dungy was the man, and he will go down as one of the greats. Definitely a tough act to follow. Depends what shoe size they both wear. Tony Dungy is such a great coach and person in general that Caldwell will have some clown size shoes to fill.

Compiled by Heather Furey.